UAV imagery in ArcGIS online

10-09-2014 12:17 PM
JorgeFernandez
New Contributor II

Hi guys,

Do you know of anybody who has worked with UAV/drone/UAS imagery in ArcGIS online?

I am currently working on it and it would be cool to have quick talk over coffee about it.

Jorge

Tags (2)
7 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

jorge,

What is the topic of UAV imagery that you would like to talk?

A UAV imagery is acquired by one or two 'civil mapping-enabled' sensor(s) on
a UAV platform. The UAV image can be regular (vertical, wide-angle), stereo-pair,
oblique and panorama, even motion-video, which cover wide disciplines…

On regular UAV imagery, after acquisition, the workflow like registration
correction, color balancing and managing over network are similar to
traditional ‘aerial & satellite remote sensing’.

However, other UAV imagery (oblique, panorama, motion-video), which can be
considered as 3D imaging, belongs to the relevant discipline…

Currently, we are working on that 3D imaging from different platforms,
including UAV…

0 Kudos
JorgeFernandez
New Contributor II

My topic is rather broad.

I am an international intern at the Technical marketing department. I have experience with drones due to my thesis back in The Netherlands. At that time the focus was in oblique imagery and 3D point-cloud assessments.

Right now my focus is on creating a portfolio with all the potential application that a connection between drones imagery and the Esri's products would have. This goes from visual analysis in AGOL, 3D modeling, video and GPS tracks visualization etc.

Indeed the focus is not that much in the actual processing of the imagery rather than proving the wide range of applications that could be derived from one platform.

0 Kudos
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

It sounds good idea. please update to us, if any good progress... Honestly, so far, we realize that there are lots of challenges to Esri products to handle those 3D imaging,in particular,server-side....

0 Kudos
JorgeFernandez
New Contributor II

What about a quick meeting one of these days? I've tried to look for you email but I could not find it. This is mine: jfernandez@esri.com

Jorge

0 Kudos
MarieJacobs
New Contributor

Helo Jorge,

I am looking into the use of UAV/drones with Online. I teach middle school geography and have been looking into adding imaging from video or photos from a drone if it is possible. I would like any updates if you get them. Could photos be uploaded into Story Maps?

My email is dacasey@bhmschools.org

Dave

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Dave

Yes you can add a small number of geotagged images into a StoryMap by following the tutorial here: Story Map Tour Tutorial | Story Maps

Cody B.

0 Kudos
DavidBrian
New Contributor II

Hi Jorge - found this thread of discussion about drones - photography and pictures, and how they can be incorporated into AGOL mapping.  I to am a Geography teacher in Hong Kong where we are using AGOL and now have purchased a drone and I'd like to learn how to leverage the imagery into our AGOL work.

We are working on a remote island mapping building heritage loss: Tung Ping Chau whole island view II - YouTube

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

0 Kudos