AnsweredAssumed Answered

Linear referencing real-time road updating by clicking and dragging

Question asked by gregcarrhyde on Oct 9, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 by gregcarrhyde

Hi,

I'm fairly new to linear referencing and have been trying out the training and knowledge base options for some time to familiarize myself with the workflows of this tool. However I'm looking to use the tool in another way and I keep finding that the tool is primarily driven by extensive data capture into tables first.

I have searched the help forums and other blog posts on here but did not find something quite in the same line as I'm looking for.

Broadly speaking the aim of the exercise is to create a WebGIS interface where users are able to click on the road center lines and drag to a point to automatically populate features about a stretch of road. The idea being that a user can trace the road from a point to another and then capture if the road is gravel or asphalt (for example) and possibly also the road condition. The accuracy of the extents are not too important it is more of an initial guide for the type and quality of the road. There would be overlapping fields for the road segment that is captured as some extents would have gravel that is poor quality and good quality on the same stretch.

Has anyone run a project like this previously? Is there a workflow for basically running linear referencing in reverse instead of driving the line events by the underlying data having the digitized data populate a road route event?

If anyone can advise further that would be great.

Thank you

Regards

Greg Carr-Hyde

Outcomes