Parcial Caching

10-08-2014 07:25 AM
TomasFernandez
New Contributor

Hi!

I have a question about caching proccess...

We are making a map service and we need to caching it. But I Have a question about that...

If we want to caching only a part of the map (for example a feature class or... dont caching the sea but cach land...) How do we do that? Exist the way to do that in ArcGis Server???

Are there any tool or parameter for do that?

thank you and my apologies because my english is not good...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tomás,

Take a look at the documentation of ArcGIS Server. You can define an area of interest...

Tips and best practices for map caches

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//0154000004q6000000

Richard

0 Kudos
TomasFernandez
New Contributor

Thank you Richard,

Then, I put an example.

If the map are in 1:100000 scale, I draw polygon over the area that i want to caching, save that in a new feature class and when I create the caching proccess using parameter "area of interest" with the new polygon.

The caching process only caching that area?? All scales??

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The option "area of interest" defines the area where tiles will be created or deleted. When running the process it will not include the area outside the polygon(s).

You can use other parameters to manage the cache process as for example a combination of "update_mode" and "scales".

0 Kudos
TomasFernandez
New Contributor

OK I'll try it and let you know.

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III

The Area of Interest parameter is very good to use, however it will cache all intersecting tiles.  This means that you may get a small amount of additional cache around your area of interest.  This may be okay depending on what you are trying to do.

Another route to take (if you do not want additional cache to show):

I would suggest adding a white polygon to your map document to mask the area you do not want to show in your cache.  Just make sure it is at the top of your table of contents.  You will need to republish your service to do this.

You could also try exporting your cache using an Area of Interest as well.  I believe this maintains the exact shape of the Area of Interest.

Good luck!

0 Kudos