AnsweredAssumed Answered

Metadata title, resTitle and XPath

Question asked by fallingdog on Oct 3, 2014

I am a little confused about how to read the ArcGIS Metadata Details.xls document. I am trying to find the right XML entity for the title in the ArcGIS metadata format 10.0 +. This document is from the ArcGIS Metadata Toolkit 101SP1 found at:http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/samples-and-utilities/view/productid/160/metaid/1937

ArcGIS Metadata Toolkit 10.1 SP1 | Samples and Utilities

I see the resTitle name in two places. The XPaths are:

/metadata/Esri/locales/locale/resTitle     row in ArcGIS Metadata Details.xls: 23

<citation elements>/resTitle     row in ArcGIS Metadata Details.xls: 160

I think that the one in line 23 would be for me to indicate a title in an alternate language Right? Because we are only supporting english I think that this can be ignored by me for now.

The one on line 160 looks like the one I need. However, there is no <citation elements> area of my metadata XML doc. A search shows that the resTitle entity is under:

<metadata>

<dataIdInfo>

<idCitation>

<resTitle Sync="True">my title</resTitle>

This is refleted in line 28 of the ArcGIS Metadata Details.xls doc:

/metadata/dataIdInfo/idCitation/<citation elements>

So my question is what is the meaning of the XPath? It dose not seem to be the XML path unless one concatenates the all the values of the <citation elements> with the /metadata/dataIdInfo/idCitation/ in a iterative way, e.g. /metadata/dataIdInfo/idCitation/resTitle, /metadata/dataIdInfo/idCitation/date/createDate, etc.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks,

Forest

Outcomes