use ShapefileWorkspaceFactory loop dbf file, how can get corresponding value with the max value of a field

Jump to solution
10-03-2014 01:32 AM
WuYang
by
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I am using ShapefileWorkspaceFactory to retrieve data from a dbf file. Now I can read data of some specified field (by field name), I have no idea how to get corresponding value with the maximum value of a field.

For example, in the dbf file I retrieve 3 fields of data: RegisterID, ItemName, Category

I am asking how to get the ItemName and Category with the maximum RegisterID.

I am using vb.net arcobjects. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

If you know the maximum RegisterID value that could become the where clause of a QueryFilter object which you feed into the Table.Search() method to get the cursor which would return a single row.

If you do not know the maximum value of RegisterID then you could use the IDataStatistics interface and return the maximum value.  You do not say which version of ArcMap you are using, I ask this as ESRI introduced a bug in this interface with a service pack release for 10.1

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

If you know the maximum RegisterID value that could become the where clause of a QueryFilter object which you feed into the Table.Search() method to get the cursor which would return a single row.

If you do not know the maximum value of RegisterID then you could use the IDataStatistics interface and return the maximum value.  You do not say which version of ArcMap you are using, I ask this as ESRI introduced a bug in this interface with a service pack release for 10.1

WuYang
by
New Contributor II

Hi Duncan,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am using 10.2.2.

0 Kudos
WuYang
by
New Contributor II

Hi Duncan,

I have successfully got the max OBJECTID by using IDataStatistics. But when I tried to retrieved the related values of the max OBJECTID, I got the following error:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040207): The owner SID on a per-user subscription doesn't exist (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040207)

at ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.ITable.Search(IQueryFilter QueryFilter, Boolean Recycling)

My code is as follows:

Dim pWSF As ShapefileWorkspaceFactory = New ESRI.ArcGIS.DataSourcesFile.ShapefileWorkspaceFactory()

Dim pWS As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.IWorkspace = pWSF.OpenFromFile("D:/dev", 0)

Dim pFws As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.IFeatureWorkspace = CType(pWS, ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.IFeatureWorkspace)

Dim pTable As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.ITable = pFws.OpenTable("Segment_line_intersect")

Dim pCur As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.ICursor = pTable.Search(Nothing, False) ' open the cursor

Dim queryFilter As IQueryFilter = New QueryFilterClass()

queryFilter.SubFields = "Segment_ID,LineName"

queryFilter.WhereClause = "FID_Segmen = '" + MaxOBJECTID.ToString + "'"

pCur = pTable.Search(queryFilter, True)    ' error this line

Return

I cannot figure out what's wrong with the code. Is this the bug you mentioned? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

This line:

Dim pCur As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.ICursor = pTable.Search(Nothing, False) ' open the cursor

should be simply:

Dim pCur As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.ICursor

I'm guessing this line:

queryFilter.WhereClause = "FID_Segmen = '" + MaxOBJECTID.ToString + "'"

should be:

queryFilter.WhereClause = "FID_Segmen = " & MaxOBJECTID.ToString

I'm assuming your field FID_Segmen is a field of type long.

WuYang
by
New Contributor II

Hi Duncan,

Yes you are right, I have modified the code and it works properly. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

you speak about objectid and shapefile: do you mean fid in shapefile? I advise you see the differences in the behavior of the OBJECTID, FID, and OID fields because FID in shapefile hasn't same behavior of objectid: it's a offset from origin of first row so I advise you don't use for reference your data ("... If a record from a shapefile is deleted, the FIDs are renumbered so that they start from 0 and increase sequentially...") while OBJECTID in gdb is a autonumber. 37480 - What are the differences in the behavior of the OBJECTID, FID, and OID fields?

WuYang
by
New Contributor II

Hi Domenico,

Thanks for the reminder, I will be careful on it.

0 Kudos