Custom Feature Class Extension Question

Jump to solution
10-02-2014 02:24 PM
MarkMcCall
New Contributor II

I'm new to custom extensions and have a question for planning purposes.  I plan to add a custom extension to a Feature Class and want to allow desktop access.  If I use a direct connection to SDE, does the extension need to exist only on the database server or on each client desktop?  Also, if I publish as a service, will it work if the extension is registered on the server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

If I use a direct connection to SDE, does the extension need to exist only on the database server or on each client desktop                                                      

You only need register it on client (geodatabase aware). you don't need install where fc is stored. (execution code ao is on client). Set your clsidext in gdb.

Per second question: I don't try clsext using service but  you can ( ArcGIS Help 10.1 ) . Here ags is the client so install it where you have gis service.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

If I use a direct connection to SDE, does the extension need to exist only on the database server or on each client desktop                                                      

You only need register it on client (geodatabase aware). you don't need install where fc is stored. (execution code ao is on client). Set your clsidext in gdb.

Per second question: I don't try clsext using service but  you can ( ArcGIS Help 10.1 ) . Here ags is the client so install it where you have gis service.

0 Kudos