AnsweredAssumed Answered

Orientate symbols based on angles between points?

Question asked by keags1 on Oct 2, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 3, 2014 by keags1

Hi,

I have a question that I have been struggling with for a while.

I have a project where I need to place the same polygon (house footprint) at various locations within a property boundary.

The footprints are always the same, and are orientated differently.

I have the coordinates of the longest section of wall, and these have been captured the same way each time (i.e. The first point is always the entrance to the house).

I could manually draw in the house footprint each time, however I have a large number (thousands) to do.

I would like to programmatically (automatically) create these footprints, from the coordinates.

I have thought of two ways, but am struggling to find a decent starting point for each.

1) I create a polygon symbol (marker) and overlay that onto the map, orientated by the angle between the two points.

2) Create a polygon / polyline where each vertex is created in relation to the last and is based on the dimensions of the footprint.

(i.e.) From point 1, create the arc at 40 degrees for 6m, then create the next 90 degrees to that 4m away, then create the next 270 degrees from that...and so on to get the footprint drawn.

Is any of this possible?

If not, I will have to look at a CAD solution, which I would prefer not to.

Thanks,

K

Outcomes