AnsweredAssumed Answered

Antivirus slowing down ArcMap

Question asked by ameskamp on Oct 2, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 by ameskamp

Hi, hopefully this is the right place for this - if not, can someone please redirect me?

Anyway, we have a customer that uses Kapsersky Endpoint Security 10, and we find that ArcGIS (talking exclusively to an ArcSDE via direct connect) suffers greatly from this. Screen refresh times are roughly doubled (as measured with MxdPerfStat), and various database actions take 3 or 4 times as long as without Kaspersky present. We're working together with the local IT people, so we can try out all sorts of settings with the antivirus, including completely disabling it for test purposes, and we're positive that the slowdown is connected to Kaspersky.

We've logged some ArcMap sessions with Sysinternals Process Monitor to see what files are accessed (a lot), and we've placed all those files on the exclusion list, but that doesn't help. Also, Process Monitor shows no significant activity in the antivirus process (avp.exe), no file accesses except for very limited access to some .dat-files in the Kaspersky installation folder (threat patterns presumably), no network activity.

Does anyone have any suggestions what we might do to get ArcGIS and Kaspersky to peacefully coexist on one machine? Also, can anyone explain how a program that doesn't seem to do anything much manages to massively slow down another program?

Thanks a lot, Martin

PS I guess I'll have to admit sooner or later that this is a 9.3.1 SP2 environment (Windows 7 64 bit), but as far as I can see, the basic technology hasn't changed all that much since then ...

Outcomes