Creating donut holes without losing existing polygons using ArcGIS 10.1?

Jump to solution
10-02-2014 04:08 AM
ayllaBAK
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have campus area and campus buildings in the same layer/*.shp file all polygon features. I need to cut holes in campus area where are buildings placed. So I can have both areas visible. Is there any way to cut area that overlaps another if they are in same *.shp file?

Thanx in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III

Could it be as simple as using symbology and having no fill colour in the polygons you don't want, or use the same shape file in the TOC several times and use definition queries?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohannesBierer

Don't really understand what you want to do, but you could start editing and select all buildings - editor cut command - and delete them?

0 Kudos
ayllaBAK
New Contributor II

Hi Johannes,

I have large polygon for example sport complex and on top of that polygon small polygons representing tennis court, swimming pool, running track.... I want to cut large polygon so I can see small polygons but to keep surface of a large polygon between small polygons, so for example if I want to delete small polygons I should have donut/holes in large polygon. haha

Thanx..

0 Kudos
michaelcollins1

Could it be as simple as using symbology and having no fill colour in the polygons you don't want, or use the same shape file in the TOC several times and use definition queries?

0 Kudos
ayllaBAK
New Contributor II

I thought there is a faster way, automatically asclip or something : D Now I see that I will need to split into categories. Thank you for your response..

0 Kudos