AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why does this code gets slower and slower?

Question asked by TomGeo on Sep 30, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 by bixb0012

Dear all,

the code below is jamming after  a while and I am incapable to see where or why.

Background... I have about 14.000 buffers in a feature class and a road network of almost 1.000.000 features in another feature class. Both are within the same FGDB.

I have to do a clip for each buffer, do some calculation on the clipped road pieces, and get the sum stored in a separate table.

Except the result of the statistics analysis, that is written in file, all other results are kept in memory. In line 31 I empty the memory.

Can somebody tell me why the process is getting continuously slower the longer it runs?

import arcpy

# Set environmental parameters
arcpy.env.workspace = r'C:/Path/to/Projects/Project.gdb'
arcpy.env.scratchWorkspace = r'C:/Path/to/Projects/scratchGDB/scratch.gdb'
arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management('Cohort_noXY_buffer300', 'buffer')
arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management('roads', 'road')

expression = "TrafficLoad(!AGTRAF2DIR!, !AADT!, !TB_Length!)"
codeblock = """def TrafficLoad(Road2, ADT, Rlength):
    if Road2 == 2:
        x = ADT * 2  * Rlength
    else:
        x = ADT * Rlength
    return x"""
# , """ "OBJECTID" >= 2442"""
with arcpy.da.SearchCursor('buffer', ['OID@']) as SCursor:
    for row in SCursor:
        out = r'C:/Path/to/Projects/noXY.gdb/Export_noXY_300_Buffer_' + str(row[0])
        arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management('buffer', 'NEW_SELECTION', """"OBJECTID" = {0}""".format(row[0]))
        arcpy.Clip_analysis('road', 'buffer', 'in_memory/clip')
        arcpy.AddField_management('in_memory/clip', 'TB_ADT', 'DOUBLE', '', '', '', '', 'NULLABLE', 'NON_REQUIRED', '')
        arcpy.CalculateField_management('in_memory/clip', 'TB_Length', '!shape.length!', 'PYTHON_9.3')
        arcpy.CalculateField_management('in_memory/clip', 'TB_ADT', expression, 'PYTHON_9.3', codeblock)
        arcpy.Statistics_analysis('in_memory/clip', out, "TB_ADT SUM", '')
        arcpy.Delete_management('in_memory')
        print "{0} processed".format(out)

Best regards,

Thomas

Outcomes