File too large The file failed to upload. It exceeds the allowable size of 1 GB. When and why was the implemented for AGOL?

Jump to solution
09-29-2014 10:19 AM
AdamInglis
Occasional Contributor II

File too large The file failed to upload. It exceeds the allowable size of 1 GB.  When and why was the implemented for AGOL?  Previously I have been able to upload tile packs of 2.5GB+.   I have a project with 71GB worth of imagery, please tell me I don't have to split it up into 71 tile packs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adam,

Use the Share Package tool to upload your large tile package.  Credits will only be used for data storage once the tile package is uploaded and published as a service.

Note:  there is a sporadic bug that some users hit for large tile packages (~ 100 GBs) where the tools succeeds, but the package is no where to be found in their ArcGIS.com Organization.

NIM101649

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Adam,

You should be able to share the tile package via ArcGIS Desktop. This message was added to the website in a recent release as an attempt to improve the experience when uploading large files through the UI (i.e., browsers). It wasn't intended as a way to impose a hard limit (though the message definitely indicates that and it certainly imposed a hard limit through the browser uploads). At around 1 GB, we found that the upload would usually not succeed through browsers. So instead of letting the browser timeout after quite a bit of time elapsed, we messaged up front and prevented that situation from happening. Impressive you were able to get 2.5GB+ uploaded though..

We'll look at improving the messaging and consider presenting in a fashion that allows you to bypass and continue to upload the file through the browser if you choose.

Frequently asked questions—Help | ArcGIS

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
AdamInglis

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response.  I would suggest you issue a warning instead of completely cutting off uploads that even slightly exceed 1GB, the package in question that I tried to upload is 982 MB (1,030,377,472 bytes).

Sharing the tile pack via ArcGIS Desktop isn't a viable option as it would consume a large amounts of credits unnecessarily.  I'm assuming this is the option you are taking about?

GeoNet_3.JPG

Cheers,

Adam

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adam,

Use the Share Package tool to upload your large tile package.  Credits will only be used for data storage once the tile package is uploaded and published as a service.

Note:  there is a sporadic bug that some users hit for large tile packages (~ 100 GBs) where the tools succeeds, but the package is no where to be found in their ArcGIS.com Organization.

NIM101649

0 Kudos
AdamInglis

Excellent, thanks Jake

0 Kudos