home use; what serverurl?

09-26-2014 04:39 AM
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

As a desktop for home use user, what serverurl should I use when publishing a feature service from desktop to agol? This is the screen I can't get past:

Untitled.png

thanks in advance for your answer.

Bert

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffWard1
Occasional Contributor

Bert,

That diaolog is for connecting to ArcGIS Server.  You need to sign on to AGOL and go to My Content and then Add Item.  This will allow you to add a shapefile packaged in a zip file. But I don't think you can edit it in an AGOL map, and you are limited to 1,000 features.  If you have and AGOL for Organizations account, you can get around the 1,000 feature limit, and you can edit the features in the feature layer.

Hope that helps,

Jeff Ward

Small Town GIS

0 Kudos
BertKraan1

Well, this might work Jeff, I'll have to check on that, will keep you posted on that.

But on my work I do uploads using a server URL like http://kdhl.maps.arcgis.com and that works fine. Is a home use user different from a 'professional user'?

regards,

Bert

0 Kudos
BertKraan1

Jeff,

I was able to upload a file like you described. The question remains why I should use a different approach from when using agol at work.

Still, it's better than before 🙂

regards,

Bert

0 Kudos
JeffWard1
Occasional Contributor

Bert,

To publish hosted services on AGOL from an ArcMap document, I think you need an Organization Account.  I have done it through ArcMap by going to File - Sign In then File - Share As.  But I have access to an organization account.  When I sign in using an account that comes with my standard level license, those options are grayed out.

How are you getting to the dialog you posted?

Jeff

0 Kudos