Thinning data

09-24-2014 11:19 PM
WilliamJameson
New Contributor

I have a question.

I have altitude rasters that show too much data. In a small scale map (Pacific Rim countries), i would like to show the mountains and valleys but not every little bump on the surface of the earth, or on the bottom of the ocean. With that much detail when you are at a scale of the Pacific Ocean, it's too busy. The goal is to show the major mountain ranges and valleys. How do I go about thinning out the data. Do I have to convert it first to point data? And if so then what?

Paul Jameson

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

William

The term you are after is resample have a look at the help here:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
WilliamJameson
New Contributor

Thank you for setting me on the right track. The re-sampling tool did improve the appearance. I tried many different combinations between technique and resolution. However, in the same category was also the Aggregate tool. I understand how it works and assumed it would not be as good. But I tried aggregate nevertheless and the appearance got even better. The test case was Australia and the best setting ended up being: aggregate - mean - cell factor = 8. Now all the mountains and valleys are clearly visible and all the detailed relief in more level areas appear to be smoothed out somewhat. I am not looking for precision but rather aesthetics. The viewers will be non-gis people on the web.

0 Kudos