Integration of maps from the google maps servers

Jump to solution
09-23-2014 08:38 AM
BenjaminHerrmann
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have been trying to accessing the google maps servers and download georeferenced orthophotos as files directly instead of going to google earth, setting markers, taking a screenshot and then import it to arcGIS. Has anyone made experiences on accessing the image files from google (which, as I heard, should be accessible publicly)?

I use arcMap 10.2 (or arcGIS 10.2, it's on the desktop PC, which isn't accessible right now and I don't remember the correct name...)

Benny

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenjaminHerrmann
New Contributor II

Thank you Ian Grasshoff‌ for your help. The tool you scripted is useful, though it's usefulness is limited to me. I am working on a project covering several hectares if not sqkm. I use the tiles from BAG when I have clouds in the bing basemap and wanna see what's under it, but I do that very selectively as the tiles are not very big or if I want bigger tiles, the resolution diminishes rather quickly.

So in short: I use bingmaps as basemap und use BAG when bingmaps just isn't showing enough.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IanGrasshoff
Occasional Contributor

Sure do...I developed this ArcGIS Desktop add-in to do the very thing you are asking.  The tool automatically georeferences the google map image.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=7cca7c34d6ac4ca4a61387dcf4f14e57

BenjaminHerrmann
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot Ian Grasshoff‌. I will look into it when I get back home. Got a few other options open at this time (arcGoogle, mapping.onphp.net, arc2earth), but this seems like the best option so far

0 Kudos
IanGrasshoff
Occasional Contributor

Benjamin,

I also came across this...but didn't have much luck.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a8895908f98d4334b401de9b6d08e847

I believe that it requires a paid version of Google Maps Engine?  I can see a test map created in my Map Engine account, but it won't let me add it to ArcMap.

I have also tried Arc2Earth, but ran into issues with that also.  These are the reasons I developed the add-in tool that I linked to above, it's free as well as it's quick/easy and lightweight.  The only downside is that it only shows one aerial image tile at a time, and it doesn't store them between ArcMap sessions.  The reason for this is not technical, it's purely so that the user doesn't violate Google's Terms of Service (TOS) .  Originally when I was developing the prototype, I was able to stitch the imagery and store it for future use.  Basically I was building a local copy of Google Imagery, that was until I read the TOS.  I suppose I could have developed the tool for someone with a Google Maps Business License, which would allow for stitching and storage (I believe that doesn't violate the TOS).  I was not about to fork over the cash for the license, and I figured others wouldn't want to do that either.

Did you see this?

My Adventure with Google Maps in ArcMap | SoCalGIS.org

0 Kudos
BenjaminHerrmann
New Contributor II

Hej Ian,

I already came across this engine integration tool you linked to, but after reading the comments, I didn't consider even testing it any longer, since some users seemed not to be able to uninstall the add-on any more and had some notifications popping up every time they opened arcgis.

Thanks for the article. I have already saved a link to that, too, but hadn't had time to read it yet. I'll do that today.

Thanks for the explanations on the TOS, arc2earth and your tool. I'll keep those things in mind when testing the different tools.

hang loose

0 Kudos
BenjaminHerrmann
New Contributor II

Thank you Ian Grasshoff‌ for your help. The tool you scripted is useful, though it's usefulness is limited to me. I am working on a project covering several hectares if not sqkm. I use the tiles from BAG when I have clouds in the bing basemap and wanna see what's under it, but I do that very selectively as the tiles are not very big or if I want bigger tiles, the resolution diminishes rather quickly.

So in short: I use bingmaps as basemap und use BAG when bingmaps just isn't showing enough.

0 Kudos