Unable to delete a version?

09-17-2014 09:59 AM
RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III

I've ran into a couple of times where users were not able to delete their versions.  Once was because they were still connected to their version, or at least ArcMap thought they were.  The other time, they received some message along the lines of "unable to delete, invalid State ID".  I haven't been able to find any information on this message or why they were getting it.  They were able to simply try again another day and successfully delete the version.  Can anybody tell me about this?

We're new to versioned editing, basically at this point people were just experimenting with creating versions, changing versions, starting edit sessions, and deleting versions.  So there wasn't much going on beyond that.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JosephSicluna
New Contributor

Not sure if I follow, but recently moved from 9.3 to 10.1.  Had problems uninstalling 9.3.  It should be removed module by module, reverse of the install.  In the end had to go into the Registry and delete many, many entries.  Eventually removed THE ONE that allowed the new version to install.  Found the solution browsing around the web

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Joseph Sicluna‌ :I am not sure if your response is related to this thread.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Ryan Kelso I am not sure what exactly brought up that error message along the lines of "unable to delete, invalid State ID".

The are some things that we need to keep in mind before deleting a version. The below links provide some information related to that. Have a look at them

Deleting versions:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Delete Version (Data Management):

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Next time you receive an error, take a screenshot of that and post it here as that would help.

Also please mention which version of ArcGIS Desktop you are using. Starting from 10.1, you can directly check any lock present on a version in the Geodatabase Administrator window, which helps as well.

RyanKelso

Thanks for the reply Asrujit SenGupta‌, I asked the geodatabase users to grab a screenshot if they see the message again.  I'll post it here if they do.

We're running Desktop 10.2.2 and the geodatabase is on SQL Server 2008.

0 Kudos
PeterKing
Occasional Contributor

Ryan,

We received this error and resolved it by performing a compress on the GDB. Even though the compress did not take the DB to State 0, it still removed any reference to the "Invalid State"

RyanKelso

I'll try this the next time we see this error.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
ThomasKonzel
Occasional Contributor

Just to share my solution - we had a version named 42" WL that neither the user or administrator could delete.  I had suspicion that the special characters double-quote and space were causing an issue so I renamed the version in the SDE_VERSIONS table to 42_WL and voila!, no problem deleting the version.  I suspect the only allowed characters in a version are alpha-numeric and underscores.

JeffMcReynolds1
New Contributor II

I'm never a fan of editing directly in SQL, but I had a similar problem  in 10.2 SDE.  User had a name with a double quote instead of a single quote (Jeff"s edits vs. Jeff's edits).  

update dbo.sde_Versions
set name = 'Jeff'
# i just picked another column that was specific to the row i wanted to change in the next line

Where status = 0

renaming the version directly in SQL fixed my problem too!

0 Kudos