Clipping Kernel Density Boundaries

09-15-2014 03:09 PM
EricBrossman
New Contributor III

Hello:

I've created kernel density estimates using the spatial analyst tools on Barn Owl Dispersals.  I have the owls' locations and dispersal routes layered over GAP land cover data in order to perform a compositional analysis of habitat use.  I am using kernel density estimates (KDE) to find the proportion of use in each habitat found within each boundary layer of the KDE.  My question: Is it possible to clip out the land cover within each boundary layer of the KDE?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you talking a batch raster clip? ie you have a bunch of zones and you want to a subset of each zone's KD values? or do you just want some summary statistics for each zone?

0 Kudos
EricBrossman
New Contributor III

I'm leaning towards summary statistics for each zone but advice for either

approach would be helpful

0 Kudos
EricBrossman
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your response.  Eventually I would like to do a compositional analysis utilizing the KDE.  Both approaches you mentioned could work, have you had much luck using either method you mentioned?  They are both new to me but I've been learning plenty along the way!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Eric, I don't use either in my day to day work, but they were the first things that popped into my mind given your scenario

0 Kudos
EricBrossman
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan,

I guess my underlying question is could this be done and if so, do you know how I would go about doing so?

0 Kudos