How to split Road polygons at intersection

Jump to solution
09-16-2014 04:16 AM
ArunKumar4
New Contributor

I have a Feature class for Roads for whole city, however the whole thing is merged as a single polygon, I need to split them at intersection. I do have the Road center line for the same features, I tried working using various tools but was not successful any help on this will be appreciated.

Regards,

Arun

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

See my post in response to this thread for the methods I am using to approach this problem.  There is a graphic of the result in my post.  Intersections are split with an X cut at 4 way intersections, a Y cut at 3 way intersections and a diagonal line from the inner to the outer corner at knuckle turns where two street name meet.

If you only want splits at the intersections of different road names, then the centerlines should have no pseudo node between intersections.  As a result, you may need to dissolve your road centerlines by street name, and then use the Intersect tool with the Points option on those dissolved Centerlines to get the points at only real intersections that would function to make the splits in your polygons at just the intersections.

The only complication that I have yet to fully resolve are intersections with small offsets between incoming roads so that they do not form a perfect 4 way or 3 way intersection within my buffer tolerance, but instead have two separate points that form one intersection with overlapping buffers.  Fortunately this is not typical, but it does happen.  In any case, they can be identified and isolated for further processing after the majority of intersections are cut.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

See my post in response to this thread for the methods I am using to approach this problem.  There is a graphic of the result in my post.  Intersections are split with an X cut at 4 way intersections, a Y cut at 3 way intersections and a diagonal line from the inner to the outer corner at knuckle turns where two street name meet.

If you only want splits at the intersections of different road names, then the centerlines should have no pseudo node between intersections.  As a result, you may need to dissolve your road centerlines by street name, and then use the Intersect tool with the Points option on those dissolved Centerlines to get the points at only real intersections that would function to make the splits in your polygons at just the intersections.

The only complication that I have yet to fully resolve are intersections with small offsets between incoming roads so that they do not form a perfect 4 way or 3 way intersection within my buffer tolerance, but instead have two separate points that form one intersection with overlapping buffers.  Fortunately this is not typical, but it does happen.  In any case, they can be identified and isolated for further processing after the majority of intersections are cut.

Surendra2282
New Contributor

Hello All,

I also facing the same problem, I need help to cut road polygon at every intersection, can anybody pls share the tools or instructions how to come out of this process..

Thanks u

0 Kudos