Finding FGDC metadata that needs to be upgraded to ArcGIS format

09-15-2014 08:31 AM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III

We have a SQL / SDE 10.1 database containing about 200 feature classes.  The metadata for most of these is still in the FGDC format but there are maybe 20 to 30 with metadata upgraded to the ArcGIS internal format and updated with new information.  ArcCatalog detects when a feature class's metadata needs upgrading, but is there a way to do this in arcpy? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Upgrade Metadata:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger

Thanks but that's not exactly what I'm looking for.  I need to identify which feature classes need upgrading which the UpgradeMetadata_conversion doesn't do.  Here is my problem, some of the feature classes have gone through the metadata upgrade and the data stewards have updated the metadata through the new interface.  If I run the upgrade again that will over write the metadata for that feature class.  Therefore, I only want to run the upgrade on feature classes that have not been upgraded! 

Plus at 10.1, the upgrade command doesn't update the Citation Title when going from FGDC to the ArcGIS format.  This bug was identified in 10.0 but still isn't fixed at 10.1 SP1.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A way I can think of doing this without diving into parsing XML is to export the metadata "raw" using the XSLT Transformation tool, using the XSLT Transformation tool and the file

\Desktop10.1\Metadata\Stylesheets\gpTools\exact copy of.xslt

Once you have the XML you could run the XML through the USGS MP tool (to strip all the ArcGIS tags) and compare the file sizes. I bet you'd see a much bigger difference in file sizes for the upgraded metadata records.

Randy, do you have a NIM or other reference for that bug?

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger

The bug is fixed at 10.2.2.  We have one test PC running 10.2.2 so I might use that.  But like most ESRI bugs it's disappointing that you have to upgrade to in order to get the fix but then something else breaks.

0 Kudos
Will
by
Occasional Contributor II

I'm using ArcGIS Destkop 10.3 and this bug doesn't appear to be fixed in it.  Am I'm missing something? Was it really fixed at 10.2.2 ?

Thanks,

Will

0 Kudos