Multipart To Singlepart using in_memory as output location

Jump to solution
09-13-2014 01:39 AM
OlegMueller
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am using the "Multipart To Singlepart" tool in model builder. If I am using the in_memory store as output location, the processing of the next tool "Summary Statistics" fails because the Field is missing. When I choose a personal geodatabase as output location everything is working fine. I do not understand why the memory store is failing. This happens just at the beginning of the model, so this is not a memory constraint problem.

thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EarlSarow
New Contributor III

It sounds like you're trying to summarize one or more of the fields that are automatically added by ArcGIS, such as Shape_Length, Shape_Area, etc.   An in_memory feature class doesn't have these attributes.  I suspect they are created when the feature class is actually witten to disk.  

To summarize any of those fields, you'll need to direct the output of "multipart to singlepart" to your scratch workspace or to some other persistent geodatabase.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't see anything specific given your criteria from the help file and I had a cursory look through the "What's new" sections for the various recent releases or Arcmap since you don't indicate the version you are using.  Check both again and to ensure that it isn't a version issue.  Also, the "More Like this" link to various threads to the right of your thread may provide similar issues information

0 Kudos
OlegMueller
New Contributor

Hi Dan, thank you for your response. I am using ArcMap 10.2.2 on Windows 8.1 x64. I couldn't find anything helpful in both files, nor any similar thread.

0 Kudos
EarlSarow
New Contributor III

It sounds like you're trying to summarize one or more of the fields that are automatically added by ArcGIS, such as Shape_Length, Shape_Area, etc.   An in_memory feature class doesn't have these attributes.  I suspect they are created when the feature class is actually witten to disk.  

To summarize any of those fields, you'll need to direct the output of "multipart to singlepart" to your scratch workspace or to some other persistent geodatabase.

0 Kudos
OlegMueller
New Contributor

Hi Earl,

yes exactly, I am summarizing Shape_Area. Thank you for your explanation.

0 Kudos