Combining Layers

09-12-2014 03:13 PM
MelissaTraverso
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am having a hard time figuring out how I might go about combining two different layers in my arcmap document. I will explain what I mean. I have a layer from an excel file that gives about 5 alphabetized "rate age types" (M, O, P, Q, R, N) based on the specifics of the data I am mapping. I have symbolized these using shapes (triangle for M, circle for O...). This is point data on a map of Florida, every point has specific values. I also have a separate layer of marginal values that range from .1%-200%. Theyre classified using natural breaks. What I need to do is somehow combine these two layers so that the shape of the different "rate age type" (M, O, P, Q, R, N) is displayed within the marginal layer within each range. For example, a range of 1%-10% might have a triangle, circle, square and diamond because these range of points might have several different rate age types. I need this range to be able to display those shapes within its designated color for that range. Every point on my map has a specific shape given its "rate age type" and a specific color given its marginal range. I need to see these shapes & color range for every point within every range of the marginal layer. How do I do this in one layer so that I do not have to go between turning 1 layer on and the other off ? Please assist.

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RiyasDeen
Occasional Contributor III

HI Melissa,

You can use intersect tool between your point layer and polygon layer with join attributes all. ArcGIS Help 10.1

This will get you a point feature class with both rate age and marginal range. You can then set quantity by category ArcGIS Desktop  to get your symbology.

0 Kudos
MelissaTraverso
New Contributor III

Capture.PNGHi Riyas,

Thank you for the help. I was actually able to create a feature class and go to the symbology tab > multiple attributes. Here I selected "Rate age type" under value fields (M, N, O, P, Q, R) and chose to add all values and change the symbole to their respective letter of the alphabet. Then I went to variation by color ramp and was able to select margin to set the %  ranges I needed. My issue now is the color scheme/ramp is totally unrelated to what I have set it to in variation by color ramp for the marginal values. attached is a snapshot of what I am referring too. I set all letters of the alphabet for rate age type to black because I don't want this to vary by color I want the marginal values to vary by color. Do you know how I might be able to get a more clear color scheme? The scheme (unrelated to what I have set it to) doesn't have enough variation to understand the different ranges by color.

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Kudos
RiyasDeen
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Melissa,

Apparently the colour of the symbol is primarily dictated by color schema and color ramp is just changing the intensity of the color.

I can't find any good documentation from ESRI which explains this symbology's behaviour. And i can't figure out how to sort this out from arc map.

Can you move this discussion to Mapping‌ place or  start a discussion at mapping. you may get better help there.

0 Kudos