Python table in python toolbox

09-11-2014 12:51 PM
KenCarrier
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to make a somewhat interactive interface using python add-ins and a python toolbox.

What I currently have

1. First Parameter (self.srchlist) : A Value List which holds the type of searches that can be performed.
  2. Second Parameter (self.srchtxt) : A GPString parameter for the user to enter the search text

What I would like to have

1. As the user enters a fourth character in Second Parameter, it kicks off a arcpy.da.SearchCursor based on the selection of First Parameter.
  2. Have the return from the SearchCursor display as a table in a Third Parameter.
  3. Once the user finds the result, select a row, click OK and perform a SelectByAttribute and zoom to the selected feature.

Where I am getting stuck, can the result of a SearchCursor be returned to a parameter that looks like a table. I have looked over the parameters and there seems to be a couple of ways to get data into a tabular format but I am getting CLSID errors for Value Table and it does not load properly.

If there is a dynamic way to take a cursor and insert the field names and their respective values into a datatype="GPString" I would imagine I could find a way to make that work. Although if there was a way to have an empty table as a parameter and update the contents when Parameter 2 is altered that would be the optimal solution for my situation. Any thoughts on how this might be accomplished?

class Searches(object):

def __init__(self):

"""Define the tool (tool name is the name of the class)."""

self.label = "Searches"

self.description = ""

self.canRunInBackground = False

self.srchlist = ""

self.srchtbl = ""

self.srchtxt = ""

def getParameterInfo(self):

# First parameter

self.srchlist = arcpy.Parameter(displayName="Select Search",name="in_searches",datatype="GPString",parameterType="Required",direction="Input")

self.srchlist.filter.type = "Value List"

self.srchlist.filter.list = ['Parcel ID','Owner Name']

self.srchlist.value = self.srchlist.filter.list[0]

# Second parameter

self.srchtxt = arcpy.Parameter(displayName="Enter Search Criteria",name="in_searchestext",datatype="GPString",parameterType="Required",direction="Input")

# Third parameter

self.srchtbl = arcpy.Parameter(displayName="Results",name="out_searchestable",datatype="Value Table",parameterType="Required",direction="Ouput")

parameters = [self.srchlist, self.srchtxt, self.srchtbl]

return parameters

def isLicensed(self):

"""Set whether tool is licensed to execute."""

return True

def updateParameters(self, parameters):

"""Modify the values and properties of parameters before internal

validation is performed.  This method is called whenever a parameter

has been changed."""

##        if parameters[0].altered:

##            if str(parameters[0]) == "Parcel ID":

##                self.srchtbl.columns = [['PIN','OWN1','OWN2'],['String','String','String']]

##            if str(parameters[0]) == "Owner Name":

##                self.srchtbl.columns = [['PIN','OWN1','OWN2'],['String','String','String']]

return

def updateMessages(self, parameters):

"""Modify the messages created by internal validation for each tool

parameter.  This method is called after internal validation."""

return

def execute(self, parameters, messages):

"""The source code of the tool."""

return

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewLewis
Occasional Contributor

unfortunately you cant create a table within the UI of the GP tool. You could possibly try that using an external UI module like PyQT. Another option maybe to fill out a combo box

0 Kudos
ColinLang1
New Contributor III

Sorry I'm late to the discussion - but others who are searching for help on this may still find my reply useful.  Matthew is wrong, this can be done.  I believe you were almost there,  you just needed to give the value table structure in the definition, in GetParameterInfo().  By the time you get to updateParameters(), it's already established the structure (none) and can't modify it.  This is a good example of how to do it: https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/123273/set-default-values-for-value-table-in-python-toolbox-...

0 Kudos