AnsweredAssumed Answered

Python table in python toolbox

Question asked by carrierkh on Sep 11, 2014
Latest reply on May 3, 2017 by chlang5

I am trying to make a somewhat interactive interface using python add-ins and a python toolbox.

What I currently have

1. First Parameter (self.srchlist) : A Value List which holds the type of searches that can be performed.
  2. Second Parameter (self.srchtxt) : A GPString parameter for the user to enter the search text

What I would like to have

1. As the user enters a fourth character in Second Parameter, it kicks off a arcpy.da.SearchCursor based on the selection of First Parameter.
  2. Have the return from the SearchCursor display as a table in a Third Parameter.
  3. Once the user finds the result, select a row, click OK and perform a SelectByAttribute and zoom to the selected feature.

Where I am getting stuck, can the result of a SearchCursor be returned to a parameter that looks like a table. I have looked over the parameters and there seems to be a couple of ways to get data into a tabular format but I am getting CLSID errors for Value Table and it does not load properly.

If there is a dynamic way to take a cursor and insert the field names and their respective values into a datatype="GPString" I would imagine I could find a way to make that work. Although if there was a way to have an empty table as a parameter and update the contents when Parameter 2 is altered that would be the optimal solution for my situation. Any thoughts on how this might be accomplished?

class Searches(object):
    def __init__(self):
        """Define the tool (tool name is the name of the class)."""
        self.label = "Searches"
        self.description = ""
        self.canRunInBackground = False
        self.srchlist = ""
        self.srchtbl = ""
        self.srchtxt = ""

def getParameterInfo(self):
        # First parameter
        self.srchlist = arcpy.Parameter(displayName="Select Search",name="in_searches",datatype="GPString",parameterType="Required",direction="Input")
        self.srchlist.filter.type = "Value List"
        self.srchlist.filter.list = ['Parcel ID','Owner Name']
        self.srchlist.value = self.srchlist.filter.list[0]
        # Second parameter
        self.srchtxt = arcpy.Parameter(displayName="Enter Search Criteria",name="in_searchestext",datatype="GPString",parameterType="Required",direction="Input")
        # Third parameter
        self.srchtbl = arcpy.Parameter(displayName="Results",name="out_searchestable",datatype="Value Table",parameterType="Required",direction="Ouput")

parameters = [self.srchlist, self.srchtxt, self.srchtbl]

return parameters

def isLicensed(self):
        """Set whether tool is licensed to execute."""
        return True

def updateParameters(self, parameters):
        """Modify the values and properties of parameters before internal
        validation is performed.  This method is called whenever a parameter
        has been changed."""
##        if parameters[0].altered:
##            if str(parameters[0]) == "Parcel ID":
##                self.srchtbl.columns = [['PIN','OWN1','OWN2'],['String','String','String']]
##            if str(parameters[0]) == "Owner Name":
##                self.srchtbl.columns = [['PIN','OWN1','OWN2'],['String','String','String']]
        return

def updateMessages(self, parameters):
        """Modify the messages created by internal validation for each tool
        parameter.  This method is called after internal validation."""
        return

def execute(self, parameters, messages):
        """The source code of the tool."""
        return

Outcomes