Force scale when printing

09-12-2014 08:41 AM
RyanSellman
Occasional Contributor II

Does anyone know how to allow printing at user defined scales?  As it stands right now, I have a drop down list of scale options that match the levels of detail in my basemaps.  It works great, but its somewhat limiting.  I would like to have a text box where folks can type in a scale, then print. 

I assume the only way to do this is to create my own JSON and use it with my printing service, but I have no idea how to do this and haven't seen an example of someone else successfully doing it.  Any ideas?  Maybe there is another way to accomplish this?

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated!!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RyanSellman

I found this bit of code while researching this topic and think that it may be a step in the right direction, but I am not sure.  It allows for manipulation of the ExportWebMap JSON, specific to the rotation of the map.  I haven't been able to do it successfully yet, but can I do something similar to this to edit the scale before the process is executed?

Here is the fiddle - Edit fiddle - JSFiddle

0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

I've not had any problems here (that I recall) I have a drop down list for scale too, and my print function is below.  It reads in a few extra user stuff, like template, quality, notes (the varibles returned by the various dijit.byId and Dojo.byID).  But seems to work.  I'm sure I did some tweaking, but cannot remember what.

function DoPrint() {

graphicsClear();

var legendLayer = new esri.tasks.LegendLayer();

legendLayer.layerId = "mainmap";

SelectedTemplate = dijit.byId('templateselect').attr('value');

vPrintTitle = dojo.byId("PrintTitle").value;

vPrintComments = dojo.byId("PrintComments").value;

vQuality = dijit.byId('quality').attr('value');

var printTemplate = new esri.tasks.PrintTemplate();

if (SelectedTemplate == "maponly") {

printTemplate.format = "JPG";

} else {

printTemplate.format = "PDF";

}

printTemplate.layout = SelectedTemplate;

printTemplate.exportOptions = {

width: 2125.98,

height: 2362.2,

dpi: vQuality

};

// console.debug(printTemplate);

var layoutOptions = {

"copyrightText": currentcopyright,

authorText: vPrintComments,

titleText: vPrintTitle,

scalebarUnit: 'Miles',

legendLayers: [legendLayer]

};

printTemplate.layoutOptions = layoutOptions;

var printParams = new esri.tasks.PrintParameters();

printParams.map = map;

printParams.outSpatialReference = map.spatialReference;

printParams.template = printTemplate;

var printURL = "http://zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz/rest/services/PrintService2/GPServer/Export%20Web%20Map";

var printTask = new esri.tasks.PrintTask(printURL);

printTask.execute(printParams, function (result) {

window.open(result.url + "?timestamp=" + (new Date().getTime()), '', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=0,location=0,statusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=0,width=620,height=600');

printbox.hide();

});

}

0 Kudos
RyanSellman

Hi Adrian!

Thanks so much for the response!  Are the options in your scale drop down, contingent upon the levels of detail or scales in your basemaps?

Ryan

0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden

No, as I don't use a tiled base map so I have no set zoom scales (well, actually, my base map is a dynamic service, but that dynamic service has, for most scales, a set of tiles, only lower than 1:3,000 does it then hit the fine detailed vector maps)

So, my pull down just has a list of common scales the users want, plus allows type in of values

0 Kudos
RyanSellman

I see.  Unfortunately I have to use a few tiled services as basemap options in the app, which limits me to using the scales defined in those basemaps. 

0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden

mmm - I think the issue will be the fact that the ArcMap side of this may try to get the extent in, rather than prioritize the scale.  beyond me now I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
RyanSellman

No problem!  I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos