How to show the �??users�?� created to a particular connection?

12-29-2012 12:58 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
How to show the �??users�?� created to a particular connection?

To create a user to a connection, we right click the connection and add it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20301[/ATTACH]

I�??m wondering now if there is a way to show all the users �??attached�?� to particular connection. Or these users only appear in case we right click a feature class and select the privileges?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20302[/ATTACH]

My issue is to show all the users created for a particular connection (without going to the feature classes).

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Law

Hi Jamal,

... I�??m wondering now if there is a way to show all the users �??attached�?� to particular connection.

FYI, in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 there is a new Geodatabase Administration dialog box that provides geodatabase administrators with the ability to monitor and manage user connections, locks, and versions.

What's new for geodatabases in ArcGIS 10.1

(look under the New ArcGIS tools to administer enterprise geodatabases section)

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

FYI, in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 there is a new Geodatabase Administration dialog box that provides geodatabase administrators with the ability to monitor and manage user connections, locks, and versions.

What's new for geodatabases in ArcGIS 10.1

(look under the New ArcGIS tools to administer enterprise geodatabases section)

Hope this helps,

Thank you Derek for the answer,

My issue here is to have a list for all users of a particular connection for whom an access to the data is created using the tool �??create database usre�?�
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20322[/ATTACH]

The �??geodatabase administration�?� dialogue box shows only the users who are currently connected BUT doesn�??t show all the users (when they are not connected to database) and who have originally the right to access the database. They will not be shown just because they are disconnected!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20323[/ATTACH]

Then the �??geodatabase administration�?� dialogue box includes the current connections but not all the users who have the right to connect.

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

Hi Jamal,

At 8.x and 9.x, there used to be a great but simple tool that did just that (and a lot more). It was called "Geodatabase Reporter" and created an overview of all relevant settings in a geodatabase, like which Feature Datasets, Feature Classes, Topologies, versions etc. there were, including detailed information on field names and types. It also included access rights / privileges on datasets if I remember it well.

It simply created an HTML page output showing all relevant data that could be printed for future reference.

Now with 10.x, I can't easily find it anymore... maybe someone else knows if you can still get a working version of it. However, I do know there are two other unsupported but powerful geodatabase tools that may be of help to you:

X-Ray for ArcCatalog (ArcGIS 10)
ArcGIS Diagrammer for 10.1

See the pages for what they do, and more useful, download them and see if they are of help. Also, there is a video of X-Ray:

Introduction to X-Ray for ArcCatalog

There have been multiple pleas by different people to integrate much of these type of tools in core ArcGIS, and 10.1 indeed does include some of this functionality, but there still are things missing.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

At 8.x and 9.x, there used to be a great but simple tool that did just that (and a lot more). It was called "Geodatabase Reporter" and created an overview of all relevant settings in a geodatabase, like which Feature Datasets, Feature Classes, Topologies, versions etc. there were, including detailed information on field names and types. It also included access rights / privileges on datasets if I remember it well.

It simply created an HTML page output showing all relevant data that could be printed for future reference.

Now with 10.x, I can't easily find it anymore... maybe someone else knows if you can still get a working version of it. However, I do know there are two other unsupported but powerful geodatabase tools that may be of help to you:

X-Ray for ArcCatalog (ArcGIS 10)
ArcGIS Diagrammer for 10.1

See the pages for what they do, and more useful, download them and see if they are of help. Also, there is a video of X-Ray:

Introduction to X-Ray for ArcCatalog

There have been multiple pleas by different people to integrate much of these type of tools in core ArcGIS, and 10.1 indeed does include some of this functionality, but there still are things missing.

Thank you Marco for the very useful information that you have provided. This is very helpful.

I thought that there might be a �??built-in�?� functions that do this sort of work

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

One other remark concerning your issue:

It is best practice to use assign geodatabase Feature Class privileges to database "Roles" instead of to individual database "Users". I strongly advice you to do so, as it greatly simplifies privilege maintenance. If you assign your database users to individual groups that need specific privilege rights on certain Feature Classes, and than create a Role for that group of users and add all database users to that group using your database management system (e.g. SQL Server), you subsequently only need to assign all the needed geodatabase privileges to the single Role instead of potentially dozens or hundreds of users.

And if you wanted to know which users have what rights on a Feature Class, you simply first look at what "Roles" have what rights, and than use the database management console to look up which "Users" belong to that specific "Role".

Generally, you would also distinguish Roles not only based on which Feature Classes these users need to see / be able to use, but also based on whether or not they need to edit data.

So you might have a Role "Ramallah Editor" and "Ramallah Viewer", or a more specific Role "Ramallah Utilities Editor" and "Ramallah Utilities Viewer".
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
One other remark concerning your issue:

It is best practice to use assign geodatabase Feature Class privileges to database "Roles" instead of to individual database "Users". I strongly advice you to do so, as it greatly simplifies privilege maintenance. If you assign your database users to individual groups that need specific privilege rights on certain Feature Classes, and than create a Role for that group of users and add all database users to that group using your database management system (e.g. SQL Server), you subsequently only need to assign all the needed geodatabase privileges to the single Role instead of potentially dozens or hundreds of users.

And if you wanted to know which users have what rights on a Feature Class, you simply first look at what "Roles" have what rights, and than use the database management console to look up which "Users" belong to that specific "Role".

Generally, you would also distinguish Roles not only based on which Feature Classes these users need to see / be able to use, but also based on whether or not they need to edit data.

So you might have a Role "Ramallah Editor" and "Ramallah Viewer", or a more specific Role "Ramallah Utilities Editor" and "Ramallah Utilities Viewer".

Thank you Marco for the very powerful �??road map�?� you have supplied to better manage my database. Your help is highly appreciated.

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos