The physical location of the published mxd (service) on the hard drive,

Jump to solution
12-22-2012 08:16 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I???m confused regarding the

??? physical location of the published mxd on the hard drive
??? the physical location of the web application developed by ???ArcGIS viewer for felx/Silverlight???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20156[/ATTACH]

For example, at present, I???m publishing the mxd file and developing the web application (using flex/Silverlight) on my local machine, later I need to transfer this work on the server. Then how this sort of work can be accomplished? Which files/folders are required to be copied from my machine to the server to have the ???service??? work?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20157[/ATTACH]

Thank you,

Best

Jamal

I???m still confused regarding:

??? the physical location of the published mxd (service) on the hard drive,
??? the physical location of the web application developed by ???ArcGIS viewer for felx/Silverlight???

Thank you,

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rlwatson

Your understanding of the first diagram with the Flex applications is correct.

The rest are incorrect.  ArcGIS Server itself does not use IIS though it did in versions prior to 10.1.
In 10.1, ESRI uses a built-in Java based web server (hence the port numbers like 6080 and 6443).
This implies that you cannot use IIS Manager to view information about ArcGIS Server itself.  The
way that you view this information is via tools provided by ESRI such as ArcGIS Server Manager,
ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory, and the REST Services Directory.

ESRI does provide the "web adaptor" product which layers on top of their built-it web server if
you require this.  The web adaptor does use IIS and acts as a proxy which routes incoming traffic
to the built-in web server.  Even with this, you won't see your web services in IIS Server Manager.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think that the underlying question/issue relates to what the recommended set of steps is in order to publish/move applications and services from a test system to a production system.

For services, I would think that the thing to do would be to republish them.  I say that because doing so perform a number of checks which makes sure that your production system is configured properly.  If you move and edit files manually then you risk making a mistake which can be difficult to debug.

This looks like a good place to start for services:

C:\arcgisserver\config-store\services

This looks like a good place to start for IIS based web applications (IIS Server Manager can definitely tell you where the application is):

C:\inetpub\wwwroot
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
I think that the underlying question/issue relates to what the recommended set of steps is in order to publish/move applications and services from a test system to a production system.

For services, I would think that the thing to do would be to republish them.  I say that because doing so perform a number of checks which makes sure that your production system is configured properly.  If you move and edit files manually then you risk making a mistake which can be difficult to debug.

This looks like a good place to start for services:

C:\arcgisserver\config-store\services

This looks like a good place to start for IIS based web applications (IIS Server Manager can definitely tell you where the application is):

C:\inetpub\wwwroot

Thank you Richard for the contribution. This is very useful.

That is quite satisfactory. Then all what I need to do is just to publish my mxd file again.

My issue now relates to the building the web application by�??ArcGIS viewer for flex�?�. Where this development is physically saved on the hard drive? What if I need to store this development on my portable hard drive so that I can work in any other machine (once I connect my hard drive to it)?
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/IIS Manager is the tool used to manage/configure IIS.

I attached a screen shot of an IIS application under the Default Web Site named FieldTask1.

Select the application in the tree view and then Basic Settings... on the right hand side.
Doing this will show you the physical path to the web application.

A web application is more than just these bits, e.g. you have to worry which Application Pool it runs it.
You can copy the bits to another machine and then recreate the application in IIS on the target machine.
There probably are alternative methods to accomplish this as well.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Control Panel/Administrative Tools/IIS Manager is the tool used to manage/configure IIS.

I attached a screen shot of an IIS application under the Default Web Site named FieldTask1.

Select the application in the tree view and then Basic Settings... on the right hand side.
Doing this will show you the physical path to the web application.

A web application is more than just these bits, e.g. you have to worry which Application Pool it runs it.
You can copy the bits to another machine and then recreate the application in IIS on the target machine.
There probably are alternative methods to accomplish this as well.

Thank you Richard for the prompt answer.

Unfortunately, I couldn�??t find the �??FiledTask1�?�. What might be the issue?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20179[/ATTACH]
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I suspect that you won't have FieldTask1 because this is a custom IIS application on my machine.

What I was trying to show you was how to determine physical location of web applications, in general, using IIS.

I don't have the Flex Viewer but I assume that it produces web applications which run under IIS.

It looks like you have a web application named "Builder".  If that is not it then look in the "flexviewers" folder.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
I suspect that you won't have FieldTask1 because this is a custom IIS application on my machine.

What I was trying to show you was how to determine physical location of web applications, in general, using IIS.

I don't have the Flex Viewer but I assume that it produces web applications which run under IIS.

It looks like you have a web application named "Builder".  If that is not it then look in the "flexviewers" folder.

Thank you Richard for the elaboration.

Based on your hep, I could find the physical location of the web application developed by �??ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.0�?� and �??ArcGIS Viewer for Flex�?�.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20180[/ATTACH]

I�??m wondering now why accessing the two url below leads to the same result. If so, what is the difference between them?

http://localhost:6080/arcgis
http://localhost:6080/arcgis/services

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20181[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20182[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20183[/ATTACH]

best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The rest are incorrect.  ArcGIS Server itself does not use IIS though it did in versions prior to 10.1.
In 10.1, ESRI uses a built-in Java based web server (hence the port numbers like 6080 and 6443).
This implies that you cannot use IIS Manager to view information about ArcGIS Server itself.  The
way that you view this information is via tools provided by ESRI such as ArcGIS Server Manager,

ESRI does provide the "web adaptor" product which layers on top of their built-it web server if
you require this.  The web adaptor does use IIS and acts as a proxy which routes incoming traffic
to the built-in web server.  Even with this, you won't see your web services in IIS Server Manager.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you for the answer Richard. This is interesting and useful for me.

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos