Digital Signature in ArcMap

03-13-2012 10:28 AM
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor
Hello.

I need information about the concept of digital signature in the ESRI products. The question is, does esri has any tool to create a digital signature? We are a group of people working with parcels and when we modify any parcel we have to create a map showing the parcel that was modified. Basically we want to put somewhere the name of the person who worked with this parcel in the map automatically. This person would be the user that log in the computer. Use the same concept as Word or Acrobat with the digital signature but with digital maps and reports
The second question is, when we generate a report with Crystal Reports, do we always obtain a hardcopy or can the report be digital? And could we have the same concept as the maps, the digital signature?

I hope any one could help me

Regards,

Diego

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12629[/ATTACH]Here Microsoft Work shows the name of the author and the date of modification.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12630[/ATTACH] Acrobat Reader has the same concept, we can put the name who did the job and the date.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EdgarBejarano
Occasional Contributor
Diego,

So you wish to add essentially a time stamp and username to either a map (data frame), map document (mxd) or to an attribute (row) of a feature class.  Is this correct?  You are not asking about signing with a digital certificate but just applying a user and time stamp, correct?

I do not know of any ESRI utility but a time stamp and username can be applied to the properties of a map or map document or as an attribute of a feature class by developing a custom editor extension (adding it as an attribute of a feature) or a custom application extension, among other custom framework components--not necessarily with an extension--although an extension seems to me more reasonable since it would make the process automatic.

Another way, for which we have a developer sample, is to develop a Geodatabase class extension.  Our developer sample called TimeStamper Class Extension, performs the following:
" this extension automatically maintains creation and modification time stamps for each object in the class, along with the name of the user who created or last modified the object."

Timestamper class extension
http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//0001000003ps000000

Regardless of the custom component you develop and where you want to add the time and user stamp, programming with ArcObjects would be necessary.  If you specify exactly where in ArcMap you want to add a user and time stamp, you may hear from a forumer with sample code--the ArcObjects interfaces that you would need would depend where you want to add such user and time stamp.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: diegollamas

Thanks Edgar Bejarano, I'm going to check this!
0 Kudos