Building web applications on the server machine while working on the client machine,

Jump to solution
01-20-2013 12:00 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Building web applications on the server machine while working on the client machine,

I have the following scenario:

1. I got two machines named ???m-pc??? and ???n-pc???.

2. The machine named ???n-pc??? is my server (in which IIS + ArcGIS server + ArcGIS web adaptor are installed)

3. The machine named ???m-pc??? is the client machine at which I???m developing web applications using ???ArcGIS Web Applications Manager??? (in which IIS, ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Web Applications Manager are installed)

4. The issue know is that all the web applications are created on the IIS of my machine (m-pc) but not on the server machine (n-pc)

5. Then how to be able to develop a web application in my machine (m-pc) but to be created on the IIS of the server machine (n-pc) because:

a. The server is machine that is working all the time
b. This url will be plugged on the web site to be accessed by the users

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20889[/ATTACH]

6. I???m not sure if such thing can be sorted out using the settings below. If so, what might be the proper settings

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20890[/ATTACH]

Thank you very much

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal, based on several other threads, I'm at a loss as to why you are using the Web Applications Manager. Given all of the details you have provided, it is not necessary to have this installed.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000002p0000000

Thank you Zachary for the answer.

A colleague provided me with the scenario below and it worked fine

1. The screenshot below shown the software that must be installed on the server side (named P2)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20971[/ATTACH]

2. The screenshot below shows the software that must be installed in the client side (named P1)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20972[/ATTACH]

3. The user of machine P1 (client machine) can build application on the IIS of the server machine  by accessing the ???ArcGIS Web Applications Manager??? and thus my issue is solved!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20973[/ATTACH]

Regarding the choice of a web application builder. This is totally dependent on whether the user is developer or non-developer

For developers:

1. ArcGIS API for Flex (using action script)
2. ArcGIS API for JavaScript
3. ArcGIS API for Silverlight (using C++)

For non-developers:
1. ArcGIS Web Applications for the Microsoft .Net Framework
2. ArcGIS Viewer for Flex
3. ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight

For me the ???ArcGIS Web Applications for the Microsoft .Net Frame??? is the most robust web application builder for the non-developers in terms of the so many functions that are built-in it. Within few minutes, one is able to build an integrated web application. In case of ???ArcGIS Viewer for Flex??? and ???ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight???, one needs so much time just to build what is available by default on the ???ArcGIS Web Applications for the Microsoft .Net Frame???! Then how come it will be deprecated?

For the non-developers: ???ArcGIS Web Applications for the Microsoft .Net Frame??? is the best

Regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
try see http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/35058

Thank you Domenico for the answer.

I�??m not sure if this is what I�??m looking for.

1. In case of �??ArcGIS Viewer for Flex�?� we are given the option on which IIS (of which machine) our web applications will be built. It is a part of its installation process.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20919[/ATTACH]

2. My issue now, while I�??m developing the web application on the P1 machine (client machine), I want to deploy them (using the ArcGIS Web Applications Manager) on the IIS of P2 machine (which is my server in this case)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20920[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20921[/ATTACH]

How might this work?

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: LANDVEST

Jamal, based on several other threads, I'm at a loss as to why you are using the Web Applications Manager. Given all of the details you have provided, it is not necessary to have this installed.

The Web Application Developer Framework (ADF) that shipped with previous versions of ArcGIS Server is deprecated, and developers should use the ArcGIS web APIs (for JavaScript, Flex, and Silverlight) when writing new web applications. Printing, editing, and other tasks previously accomplished through the ADF are now readily available using the ArcGIS web APIs.
The ADF continues to ship with ArcGIS 10.1 for Server as a separate setup named ArcGIS Web Applications. This exists solely for the purpose of supporting legacy applications. The setup includes ArcGIS Web Applications Manager, a legacy version of Manager that allows you to view and modify your web applications.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you Zachary for the answer.

A colleague provided me with the scenario below and it worked fine

1. The screenshot below shown the software that must be installed on the server side (named P2)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20971[/ATTACH]

2. The screenshot below shows the software that must be installed in the client side (named P1)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20972[/ATTACH]

3. The user of machine P1 (client machine) can build application on the IIS of the server machine  by accessing the ???ArcGIS Web Applications Manager??? and thus my issue is solved!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20973[/ATTACH]

Regarding the choice of a web application builder. This is totally dependent on whether the user is developer or non-developer

For developers:

1. ArcGIS API for Flex (using action script)
2. ArcGIS API for JavaScript
3. ArcGIS API for Silverlight (using C++)

For non-developers:
1. ArcGIS Web Applications for the Microsoft .Net Framework
2. ArcGIS Viewer for Flex
3. ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight

For me the ???ArcGIS Web Applications for the Microsoft .Net Frame??? is the most robust web application builder for the non-developers in terms of the so many functions that are built-in it. Within few minutes, one is able to build an integrated web application. In case of ???ArcGIS Viewer for Flex??? and ???ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight???, one needs so much time just to build what is available by default on the ???ArcGIS Web Applications for the Microsoft .Net Frame???! Then how come it will be deprecated?

For the non-developers: ???ArcGIS Web Applications for the Microsoft .Net Frame??? is the best

Regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos