Problems using ModelBuilder & ToRaster tools ('Feature to Raster','Polyline to Rast')

03-07-2012 08:18 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Muskie

Hi,

I am in a roadblock with ModelBuilder (using ArcView 10, SP2).

I have a rather simple bit of model where I am just adding a field to a road dataset, populating it, and then converting it (based on the populated field) to Raster. Simple beans, right? I've gotten this process to work independently outside of ModelBuilder using the same tools I've put into the Model Builder GUI. However, it will NOT RUN in ModelBuilder :/!!!

Enclosing the piece of the Model. Notably it keeps shutting down at "Polyline to Raster" (I have also tried w/ Feature to Raster, same results). As far as datasets go, this seems like a ridiculously small dataset (only 9881 records). The error at crash (yes, ArcMap fully crashes routinely right at 'Polyline To Raster') is either a '99999' error or just a regular 'ArcMap has committed a serious error'.

Any thoughts?

***Heartbroken in Indiana, thank you for many great years Peyton!****
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jbswain

What attribute query are you using when you select the layer?  Can you see that output in the map when you run the model?  If both tools fail, then I would be sure that the query is actually producing an output.
0 Kudos
ArielleSimmons
New Contributor
What attribute query are you using when you select the layer?  Can you see that output in the map when you run the model?  If both tools fail, then I would be sure that the query is actually producing an output.

Hi Jeff,

the 'Select by Attributes' query is actually set to 'deselect all'....it is to clear an earlier selection done so I could perform the field calc. Works fine...but transforming all vector data (which is what I am trying to do) to raster -- that is not working. Want to screenshare? I could show you better than explain.
0 Kudos
ArielleSimmons
New Contributor

Okay...I learned something! So, for whatever reason, it works outside the model (i.e. using the Toolbox GUI and 'Polyline To Raster' function if your dataframe and data are NOT in the same extent & copordinate system). However, if you try to run the Model Builder version, it will error out with that '99999' error.

End of story, I guess you better make sure your coordinate systems and extent for data, dataframe, and model builder are set BEFORE you try to run models.

'
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Muskie

Okay...still having problems...Can I contact you directly perhaps? This is feeling less and less like a user error, and might be something amiss with the tool??
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jbswain

Please call in and we can create an Incident to trouble shoot this.
0 Kudos
ArielleSimmons
New Contributor
Please call in and we can create an Incident to trouble shoot this.

Hi Jeff,

Apparently, the non-profit I work for doesn't have the customer number that qualifies them for technical support (from my understanding, the licenses they have are donated to them by ESRI). Is there any other way we can get in touch?
0 Kudos