Legends for terrain maps in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
09-09-2014 08:13 AM
KatyAppleton
New Contributor III

I am exploring ArcGIS Online for teaching and would like to include ESRI's Terrain Aspect Map and Slope Map as context layers in a (swipe) web mapping application I am creating. They look great in the map, but the legend for each is irrelevant (see below) so the reader cannot easily interpret the map. Slope is fairly intuitive (for relative rather than absolute values), but aspect, as shown, is less so.

AGOL_terrain.PNG

Is there any way that I can include meaningful information in the legend, or on the web map at all? If I look at the layer's Item Details, the page held by ESRI shows a simple legend for each (below). A way to get these in to my web map would be helpful, but the Description panel does not allow images.

Aspect.PNGSlope.PNG

Any suggestions, please?

Thank you!

Katy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Looking at what people commented on the layer page I don't think it is possible to include that color legend

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey Katy,

is there a way to post a link to that webmap so I can check it out?

Tim

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Katy,

I found it. Click on the option next to your layer in the content view. Then choose "Image Display" and as Render choose Aspect. This should look better and adds a legend.

Tim

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton
New Contributor III

Thanks for replying, Tim. Here's what I found when I tried your suggestion:

- if I choose Aspect as the renderer, I do get a legend, but the data (and legend) turn greyscale. This is a step forward, but not really ideal - the coloured aspect map is much better.

- if I choose Aspect Map, this is the same as my current view, i.e. colour on the map but R/G/B on the legend.

The web mapping app is at

http://uea1.maps.arcgis.com/apps/StorytellingSwipe/index.html?appid=b2833e65d2cc4d87b3356dff273c58fc...

I'm really hoping there is a way to keep the coloured aspect map and somehow add a legend.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Looking at what people commented on the layer page I don't think it is possible to include that color legend

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton
New Contributor III

Way to go, ESRI... a layer provided for context, that cannot be interpreted.

I have fudged a solution together by linking in the Description to an image created from screenshots of the legends on the Item Details pages.

Thanks for your time, Tim.