AnsweredAssumed Answered

Scale bar accuracy and units in the Print Task

Question asked by eddiestathopoulos on Jun 11, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 12, 2016 by mreeves.spokanecounty
Hello,

I have been attempting to add print capabilities to an application using the ExportWebMap spec and I have two questions/concerns:

1) Does setting the scalebarUnit of a PrintTemplate (aka scaleBarOptions for the ExportWebMap spec) actually do anything besides change the labels for the scale bar?

As far as I can tell, changing this value does nothing more than provide different labels which means the scale bar is grossly inaccurate (ignoring spatial reference inaccuracies). Correct me if I'm wrong, but this certainly looks like a bug. I've attached images to show this in action. The scale bars are identical (other than labels). If this is the case, what is the purpose of this option?

2) Can I get an accurate scale bar even if I am in a spatial reference not ideal for measurements?

Measure tools will often use Great-Circle distance to get more accurate distances. There are many situations where only Web Mercator tiles are available but an accurate scale bar is desired. Is this possible or will I have to roll my own solution?

For reference, I am hitting the esri sample Export Web Map Task. I will be extending this service (and already have) but have been using the default to ensure it is not my implementation at fault.

Thanks,
Eddie

Attachments

Outcomes