Sink Evaluation failed at the last stage

Jump to solution
03-17-2014 09:33 AM
Labels (1)
JingTao
New Contributor
Hi, I am trying to run the Sink Evaluation step. I got this error message (image 1). To find more details about the message, I checked the Results section in Geoprocessing. According the log in the Results (image 2), it appears that the step has mostly been run smoothly until it started to create the output file when it failed. As shown in the errors, the output file name contains the extension as ***.shp.shp, which is not a valid file name. It is a mystery to me why there is an extra .shp generated. I've never entered .shp as an intended part of the output file name in the pop window when starting the step.
I cannot find issues with either my Set target locations for HydroConfig for Windows 7 (image 3) or the directory (image 4). And I did clean up the temp folder all the times as the senior member Mark recommends. I cannot identify the cause for this exrat .shp. Would anybody give me some suggestion? Thanks in advance!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32241[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32242[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32243[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32245[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
You could try making your directory name shorter. "MS4_BiologicalSampling" could be longer than Arc Hydro wants to work with. If the directory name is truncated the Arc Hydro code, it wouldn't be able to find the folder. Tools will often prompt me that a file name is too long. I don't recall getting prompted to make a directory name shorter, but my practice it to keep them short just in case.

Not sure about the extra .shp in the name. That seems odd. I don't use the Sink Evaluation tool, so I can't say . I tried to do a simple export and force the .shp.shp at the end of the file and Arc Map always simplifies it to .shp

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
You could try making your directory name shorter. "MS4_BiologicalSampling" could be longer than Arc Hydro wants to work with. If the directory name is truncated the Arc Hydro code, it wouldn't be able to find the folder. Tools will often prompt me that a file name is too long. I don't recall getting prompted to make a directory name shorter, but my practice it to keep them short just in case.

Not sure about the extra .shp in the name. That seems odd. I don't use the Sink Evaluation tool, so I can't say . I tried to do a simple export and force the .shp.shp at the end of the file and Arc Map always simplifies it to .shp
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: taojing

Mark, thank you very much for the response!
However, shorterning the name does not work out. The error message remains exactly the same. Any other ideas please?
0 Kudos