Error:  Class not registered

03-07-2014 10:52 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MCline19

I am trying to connect to an ArcGIS web server (user connection).  I have connected multiple machines using ArcDesktop 9.3, 10.0 and 10.1 without any problems.  But I have 1 computer (ArcDesktop 9.3) that returns an error stating "Class not registered".  I cannot find a reason or possible fix for the issue. 

Does anyone out there have any ideas why this might be happening and what a possible fix may be?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: crafty762

Are you using ArcFM at your organization?  I've seen this type of error before and, in my experience, it has been related to the absence of a required ArcFM GUID within the registry for the particular version of ArcGIS and ArcFM being used.  If you are using ArcFM, which specific product do you have installed on that 1 machine and which version of the software are you using?
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
To further add on to what William said,

COM components (ArcFM) are the possible culprits. There might be a dll that is needed but is not registered on your machine.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We don't use ArcFM anywhere within our organization. 

nidhinkn, the dll issue you mention - Is that ArcFM related? Or is that still a possible culprit since we do not use ArcFM?
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Since you don�??t use ArcFM, the dll issue is not related to it. I had encountered error when ArcFM was installed and trying to remove Class Extension. Also had issues while trying to access Geodatabase from third party, which was created using ArcFM, and had to delete custom COM objects from the Geodatabase to use the data.
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
From Web Help:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#//0093000000m7...

The probable cause of this error is that a machine you are trying to add as a SOC host does not have the SOC component of ArcGIS Server installed. To correctly configure the SOC machine, install the SOC software and run the postinstallation, ensuring that the SOM and SOC accounts have the same names and passwords as they do on the other machines in your configuration. Then log out and back in to the machine.

Not sure whether this is specific to the issue you are facing.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: crafty762

Are you absolutely sure that ArcFM never existed on that 1 machine?  From that machine, if you launch C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\bin\categories.exe, scroll through the list of COM categories to see if there are any M&M entries.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am sure ArcFM has never been installed on the machine.  Also, checked C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\bin\categories.exe and did not find any M&M entries.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you think a reinstall of ArcDesktop is a possible solution?
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Give it a try and if it doesn't help, then you have to contact Tech Support.
0 Kudos