Adding XY Data from Excel is not displaying Correctly

02-14-2014 09:01 AM
DanaBissey
New Contributor
I am trying to show XY data in my map.  I have a list of coordinates for parking lots, and they are in an excel file.  I have tried adding them into ArcMap, and then right-clicking to display XY data.  once I go through the dialog boxes, the points are displaying one on top of the other, in the the middle of the United States, and they are all stacked one on top of the other.  I have about 215 different points that need to be projected on the Indiana University campus in Bloomington Indiana.  I have attached the excel file (which is saved as a .csv file).  Also, I have attached what happens when I display the XY data (basemap added to see locations).

I have been searching and searching for an answer to this problem, and can't seem to find anything.  Any help to get this sorted would be greatly appreciated!  I'm about to pull my hair out because I thought this would be easy to do rather than having to start an editing session in my shapefile and input each one indvidually.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: timw1984

Hey there,

First good practice would be to add two headers, Lat and Long, to your spreadsheet.

After that open an empty MXD and add a basemap.

Now on the upper left corner click File -> Add Data -> Add XY Data...

click on the folder and go to your spreadsheet and choose sheet1. As X field it should choose your Long field and as Y your Lat field.

Now click the Edit... button to choose a coordinate system.

Here navigate Geographic Coordinate Systems ->  World and there choose WGS 1984 and click OK.

Click OK again and it should add it to your map.

Hope this answers your question 🙂

Tim
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
The coordinates are in the correct range to be in Bloomington, Indiana.  What Spatial Reference did you use?  It should be World WGS 1984.

The points are not directly on top of each other, you are just zoomed out too far to see the separation between the points.  Even if they fell in Bloomington, they would look like just one point from this zoom distance.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rborchert

The points comes up at the University of Indiana Bloomington.

The C column should be your X value and the B column is your Y column

If your using the table you supplied make your 3 columns something like  ID Ying Xing and save it.

When you open in your arc gis session it will populate it properly

for projection choose GCS North America 1983 and it should work.

QUOTE=dbissey47;366229]I am trying to show XY data in my map.  I have a list of coordinates for parking lots, and they are in an excel file.  I have tried adding them into ArcMap, and then right-clicking to display XY data.  once I go through the dialog boxes, the points are displaying one on top of the other, in the the middle of the United States, and they are all stacked one on top of the other.  I have about 215 different points that need to be projected on the Indiana University campus in Bloomington Indiana.  I have attached the excel file (which is saved as a .csv file).  Also, I have attached what happens when I display the XY data (basemap added to see locations).

I have been searching and searching for an answer to this problem, and can't seem to find anything.  Any help to get this sorted would be greatly appreciated!  I'm about to pull my hair out because I thought this would be easy to do rather than having to start an editing session in my shapefile and input each one indvidually.
0 Kudos