Specific russian character disapearing when Maplex is on

02-04-2014 07:58 PM
VictoriaMorozova
New Contributor
I have the following problem. I need to make automatic labeling from the existing column. When I use a simple labeling, the character "�??" is visible, but if I use Maplex (10.1) labeling, this symbol is not visible. It is replaced by a space sign instead. This character is from Cyrillic code page, and it is corresponds to sign "#" from English code page. For example, if feature attribute is "Раз. �??1", label looks like " Раз.  1". Does anyone know why it�??s happens and how to solve this? Russian-speaking dealers could not help me. Appeal to Russian-speaking forums did not help, too. Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31133[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31134[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SamuelTroth
New Contributor III
Hello, I have taken a look at this and can see the issue. All I can tell you is that the problem is not present at version 10.2 if that's any help.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Morozova_Victoria

Thank you for information.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Try building into a Maplex expression the specific font.  I have a situation where I need to use two fonts in the same label.  Here is the exact code I use.  It give me an Arrow when I use the correct character.

[Description] & "<FNT name = 'Wingdings 3' size='17' >" &  [Arrow] & "</FNT>"&  [Description2]   & vbnewline & [Description3]

The Description fields are my 3 label fields and Wingdings 3 is the font I am using.   The arrow field is where I enter the character i want.  In my case for example a = sign gives me a right arrow.

I have the following problem. I need to make automatic labeling from the existing column. When I use a simple labeling, the character "�??" is visible, but if I use Maplex (10.1) labeling, this symbol is not visible. It is replaced by a space sign instead. This character is from Cyrillic code page, and it is corresponds to sign "#" from English code page. For example, if feature attribute is "Раз. �??1", label looks like " Раз.  1". Does anyone know why it�??s happens and how to solve this? Russian-speaking dealers could not help me. Appeal to Russian-speaking forums did not help, too. Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31133[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31134[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos