Register Database Bug: Inconsistent Between Managers

01-30-2014 08:32 AM
AndrewBlakey
New Contributor III
I'm experiencing a lot of problems trying to properly register my AWS geodatabase.  I'm trying to troubleshoot whether the AWS image isn't configured properly and what I need to change to properly register my GDB for use.  As a sub-problem, I have found a weird bug  that might be contributing to my problem.

When I register a GDB with ArcCatalog, the results in the web-based Manager are different.  No matter what I configure for the Server Database Connection, the web-based Manager shows the exact same thing. See screenshots for a visual example (note I've just deleted some IP and password hash data so ignore the blanks)

Again, no matter what I put in, I always get the same result.  If I use a different GDB, instance, username, etc. It's always owner, EGDBHOST, geodata. etc.

Is this a cosmetic issue or is there something weird happening with the database registration?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jeff_smith

The reference to EGDBHOST is because you are using ArcGIS Server on an Amazon AMI.  That is normal.  Did you install Postgres yourself or was it included in the AMI you are using?  When you register the Postgres gdb, what type of error message are you seeing?  Also, double check that you have the 64-bit Postgres client libraries copied into the ArcGIS Server bin folder.
0 Kudos
AndrewBlakey
New Contributor III
Hi Jeff:

Yes I am using AWS. I'm using the Ubuntu version with a PostgreSQL GDB pre-configured on the same instance. This was done through Cloud Builder so it's the image that ESRI has put together.

When I register the Postgres GDB via. Catalog, I get no error and all looks good. Returning to the managed connection later in Catalog shows that it is still what I configured it as.  Viewing it in the Web Manager shows what I provided in the first post: EGDBHOST and "geodata"  no matter what I configured. Even if I configured   "mysillygdb" on "localhost"  it will show EGDBHOST and "geodata".  I can't tell if this is a problem or a cosmetic flaw.

I am troubleshooting it because when I set up my own GDB and manage it, I get a very weird issue where publishing a Web Mapping Service results in mixed up REST layers.   Ie. I publish a WMS with 5 layers from my gdb.  Everything publishes fine, no data uploading is required, but when I go to access the REST service,   roads layer has the fields and returns queries from the houses layer.  Houses layer returns query data from the address layer, etc.  It's very bizarre.

I have not checked if I have the 64 bit client libraries on my AWS server.  Because it is Ubuntu, there's a level of confusion since I think it's basically using WINE to emulate?  I had assumed that an ESRI-generated AWS image would have been fully pre-configured since it was designed as Ubuntu with PostgreSQL.  I am not sure how to check if these files are there. Where might I look when I SSH in?

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
AndrewBlakey
New Contributor III
Hi again:

I finally found some time to move ahead on this.

I'm a bit confused because there is no documentation on how to configure/modify things for the AWS Image of ArcGIS Server for Ubuntu created by ESRI. So before I muck anything up, here's my plan as pieced together by various Windows and Postgresql pages.

I found that I have Postgresql 9.0 running (identified by finding the 9.0 folder in the psql folder).  So I'm downloading the Windows 64 bit client libraries for psql 9.0.5 and copying them to /arcgis/server/bin/ 

The files include:
libeay32.dll
libintl.dll
libpq.dll
ssleay32.dll

Because I'm running Ubuntu, I'm a bit further confused with WINE emulating what looks like Windows ArcGIS Server.  Confirmation that I'm copying the right files to the right location would be helpful!  Thanks!
0 Kudos