Pre defined distance between nodes in Hierarchial smart tree

12-18-2013 09:43 AM
RM
by
New Contributor
I'm trying to build a schematic diagram for a rail network with stations and road crossings(both are point layers). I'm using the standard builder(geometric network). The hierarchical smart tree diagram does not show  equidistance between the stations. where there are road crossings the length of the line segment is more. Is there way to predefine separation distance between the stations, say 2 miles between the stations irrespective of presence of road crossings?Any help is appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29990[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: 4233

You need to look into the Relative Mainline layout algorithm.  It was developed with Rail in mind and is being used by BNSF and several other major railroads.  Look it up in the help system.
0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
Here is the link
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rm26

Thanks Rick. I did try the relative main line template, it did not seem to have working fine for me. My geometric rail network has two TRK_TYPE (M for main, S for Side). I'm having my line definition attribute as TRK_TYPE, line type attribute name :TRK_TYPE, main line value:M. The result schematic diagram gives a straight line that I expect with equidistance but the branches(Side) are way too off from the main. Any ideas on how to fix these???
0 Kudos
Anne-YvonneBlin
New Contributor III
You need to decrease the Offset between branches parameter value. This parameter determines the spacing between two adjacent branches along the axis perpendicular to the direction of the main lines. The unit for this parameter is the diagram unit; that is, probably the same unit as your GIS data. You can use the core Measure tool in your diagram to help you to determine this good distance value.
0 Kudos