Add REST Service Query Layer to ArcGIS Online map

11-05-2013 08:27 AM
MattSkinner1
New Contributor
Is it possible to add a query layer from a REST Service to ArcGIS online?
I am composing AGOL maps from REST services and would like to include queries on geometry or other attributes to limit the results returned to a map. Not having any success with basic Text or Geometry queries.
Basic queries on a dynamic layer from ArcGIS server such as:

• "Where=FType='XYZ' or

• geometryType=esriGeometryEnvelope&geometry=<xmin>,<ymin>,<xmax>,<ymax> fail to load.

Is this even possible with ArcGIS online, or is this my answer:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28872[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28871[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Matt,

It is not possible to add the layer with the defined query, but once you add a layer you can define filters that will do the query and persist in the layer. Check out this topic in the online help for details about filters.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: monsoongeo

Thanks for the reply. I looked into applying filters, however they only work on non-spatial attributes -the "Shape" attribute is not available!
I am trying to produce focused maps and applications for project-specific study areas when the source data covers very large extents.  I can't find a way to limit the extent of an arc online map in general, or even limit the spatial extent of the data returned from a url request to a map service.
Short of clipping data (argh!) and uploading to AGOL or Server, is there really no way of limiting the extents of an Arc online map?

cheers,
Matt
0 Kudos