AnsweredAssumed Answered

Only possible to assign rules/attributes to shapes? Not lines or nodes?

Question asked by Zohara3 on Oct 31, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 by geonetadmin
I am exploring the possibilities for visualizing underground infrastructure and imported a shapefile of two lines drawn in ArcGIS. This created in City Engine two segments and 3 nodes. Where the two lines meet, there is a street shape created. For the rest of the line segments they remain lines (with no possibility to assign a rule file?) unless I widen the default street width from 8 to 15 or so, then they become shapes. When I tested out a cga file from the forums (piperules), it created the shape over the street shapes, which is one issue that doesn't look right, and it created a weird shape where the two lines connect at a node. Any tips on visualizing this better? Ideally, I would be able to assign rules to create 3d geometry out of lines and/or nodes, but possibly there is a way to get around this and still create a nice looking product?

I've attached images of how the layer of two lines automatically import and the result once I have widened the "streets" until they become shapes and then applied the rule.

Attachments

Outcomes