AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to check that the proxy is working properly?

Question asked by geonetadmin on Oct 16, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 by Schlomm_1
Original User: Schlomm

Hello,
Yesterday I've set up a proxy page for my webmap following the guidelines here: https://developers.arcgis.com/en/javascript/jshelp/ags_proxy.html

Now I have a (hopefully correctly) configured proxy (I've done that this way), but I don't know, how to check the functionality.
My editor service, which allows users to create new point feature, which are then stored in sde feature class, is working and the points are created successfully. I can see the POSTs using chrome's and firefox webdevelopment tools.
But how I can be sure, that it uses the proxy?

In general, I'm not quite sure if I really need a proxy.
What my webmap should do and what should be able for users:

1. Viewing the map. There are around 35 Layers. User can turn these off and on using nliu's TOC Overviewmap, Basemapgallery, measurement of distances and polygons using the measurement tool

2. Performing request with a popup. This identifies a feature and shows the information of this (for example a polygon with informtion about the male/female distribution, which is shown by a pie chart). Above of that a geoprocessing service should be used, which created a 1km buffer around a sde feature set. More information here: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/94668-Publishing-BufferService-(based-on-SDE-Feature-Class)-to-ArcGIS-Server

3. Users should have the option to add new features with a feature service. This is already working. User can create new feature even before I've set up a proxy.

So...Is there any reason for using a proxy.
The guideline page only mentioned the following scenarios:

1. The application creates requests that exceed 2048 characters. While there is no official maximum length for a URL some modern browsers have imposed limits. Using a proxy works around this issue by performing a POST request rather than a GET request. POST requests are not limited by the 2048 character maximum because the information is transferred in the header instead of the URL. Common situations where you may exceed the URL length are:

2. a.) Buffer complex polygons then use the buffered geometry with a query task.
    b.) Specify a spatial reference using well-known text (wkt).
  3. The application uses a service that is secured with token-based authentication , and you do not wish to allow users to view the token, or you do not want to transmit the token over the network between your Web server and your users.

4. The application edits features in a feature service, unless the application is on the same domain as the GIS Server.

@1.) I do not think that there a request with more than 2048 characters (please check the attachment...I'm not sure, if I've looked at the right place)
@1a.) I only buffer just a point.
@1b.) I specify a spatial system via wkid.
@2.) It's not secured with token based authentication.
@3.) For this I'm not sure: As already said, the user should be able to add and edit new features, but this was working before I'Ve tried to set up a proxy. The application is stored on the ArcGIS Server (so of course also in the same domain).

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dominik

Attachments

Outcomes