Editing Config.esriaddinx

08-19-2010 01:09 PM
LesleyBross
New Contributor II
I need to edit the Config.esriaddinx xml configuration file for my ArcGIS 10 add-in. According to the documentation, intellisense is supposed to aid me in this task. However, when I edit the file, it doesn't offer any usable suggestions. My IDE configuration is VB Express 2008 with ArcGIS 10 SDK. Is this working for others?

Alternatively I would like to find the complete XML schema so I can at least refer to that. The schema tree is available in the ArcObjects .NET Developer help but you have to drilldown through the tree to get what you need. Sometimes the complete schema is easier to use.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III
I need to edit the Config.esriaddinx xml configuration file for my ArcGIS 10 add-in. According to the documentation, intellisense is supposed to aid me in this task. However, when I edit the file, it doesn't offer any usable suggestions. My IDE configuration is VB Express 2008 with ArcGIS 10 SDK. Is this working for others?

Alternatively I would like to find the complete XML schema so I can at least refer to that. The schema tree is available in the ArcObjects .NET Developer help but you have to drilldown through the tree to get what you need. Sometimes the complete schema is easier to use.

What was the solution to this?
I have the same issue.
No XML intellisense.
And there are no Tool Palette examples that I have found for drop down (of serveral more buttons) from the toolbar.
0 Kudos
JohnHauck
Occasional Contributor II
I've tried this on a few systems with VS 2008 and ArcGIS 10.0 and haven't been able to see the problem occur yet. However, I'd suggest that you check the following:

1) While you are viewing the config xml file click XML from the main menu
2) Click Schemas
3) Verify that you are set to use DesktopAddIns.xsd
Use: True
Target Namespace: http://schemas.esri.com/Desktop/AddIns
File Name: DesktopAddIns.xsd

If you are currently using this you may just try to toggle it...set it to not use, click OK and then go back in and set it to use. Not the best suggestion but it seems like something may be just slightly off.

If none of that helps see if you see the same thing for a C# project and comment back here.

As far as the ToolPalette here is an example that uses one:

Custom selection extension
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks John,

The solution and fix for this issue was, indeed the file missing completely and occurred when using Arc10

ref:
NIM060652 - Missing add-in schema file (.xsd) when installing IDE integration with VS Express edition

Fix:

Install file: ArcObjectsSDKNET10sp1.msp
This issue is fixed with Service Pack 1 SDKNet install package

This of course can be found on the patches and service packs web page.
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Is there an equivalent way to set up Flash Builder to show intellisense for .xml files in Flex 2.3 api?  It recogonizes .mxml but not .xml.
0 Kudos