Labeling problem

Jump to solution
09-05-2013 10:00 AM
StephenAtkins1
New Contributor II
Hello everyone.  I've got a map (of course) and I'm using labels from one of the layers to mark the quarter section numbers.  I'm also using one of the layers to clip the map to a certain area.  On the screen everything looks fine, but when I print or export to pdf it prints the quarter section numbers out side of the boundary area.  I've attached a couple of pics one from arc gis and the other is the pdf export.[ATTACH=CONFIG]27237[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27239[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the help.

Stephen
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: VE6CPU

Sorry everyone but your not going to like me on this one.

Turns out I had already created an annotation for the section numbers.  Once I deleted that annotation I was able to turn on labeling (which is how I thought I was doing it but guess not) and use the Mutex labels to get them right where I needed them.  Now it exports it properly.  Don't worry I've already done the face palm!

Stephen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: timw1984

Instead of clipping the quarter section numbers, maybe convert all of them to annotations and then delete the ones you don't need? Maybe that will fix it?
0 Kudos
StephenAtkins1
New Contributor II
I had thought about that but was hoping there would be an easier way.  There are a lot of numbers to delete.  I'll wait around for a bit and see if there is another answer.

Thanks
Stephen
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you still have the unclipped feature in your mxd? If so did you try and remove it before exporting?
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Do you still have the unclipped feature in your mxd? If so did you try and remove it before exporting?

That won't work.  He is using a data frame clip, not the Clip tool.  Data frame clips don't alter the original data.  You could try to create a selection of the features within the clip boundary and then create a Selection layer for the labeling.  That way you could turn off the full layer and with the Selection layer no labels will be created outside the dataframe and you won't have to create a new fc.  (Of course you have to manually configure the selection layer to match the full layer for labeling and symbology, because it won't match by default).
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: VE6CPU

Sorry everyone but your not going to like me on this one.

Turns out I had already created an annotation for the section numbers.  Once I deleted that annotation I was able to turn on labeling (which is how I thought I was doing it but guess not) and use the Mutex labels to get them right where I needed them.  Now it exports it properly.  Don't worry I've already done the face palm!

Stephen
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Glad you got it figured out! Don't forget to use the checkmark next to your post to mark your question answered!
0 Kudos