LA metro example

07-26-2013 12:10 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: varvara_t

I am trying to make the same project for Moscow metro, but expectably I am meeting lots of difficulties.
I do understand there is not much to hope for but still - is there any chance I could get the rule of this project? It would help me greatly...
It's one of my first steps in CE and it seems to be really tricky.
But for sure I will understand if the author doesn't want to share it.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: obrjo181

you could try writing a comment on their webscene to see if they'd be willing to share the codes with you. Otherwise it looks like what they've done is used a series of points for the stops where they've either extruded or inserted an obj at each point to show the stops. Then for the lines they've extruded the data and colourised it based on the line (probably from an attribute field in the data). When you import line data, it automatically segments into streets but you can change this by in the street parameters getting rid of the sidewalk widths and making the streetWidth as narrow or wide as you wish. Then for the extrusion, just apply a basic rule to the whole parcel eg
attr LineHeight = 1
LineColour = "#3d0c10" # or you could have a conditional rule here that links the lineColour to specific line attributes

Line--> alignScopeToAxes(y)
 extrude(world.y,LineHeight)
comp(f){all:Colour}
Colour-->color(LineColour)

hope that gives you some idea's anyway
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi ..

the rules of the LA metro example are actually really easy. nothing fancy.

* all the landmarks you see are placed in the scene just as 'static models', so no code used for those.
* the streets are just colored shapes.
* the stations are inserted cylinder objects, so using just s() and () on GIS data (attributed point features)

that's basically it ..

the only tricky thing is to actually clean up the imported models. stuff on the google warehouse is usually not perfectly cleanly modeled, plus the handling of the transparencies are sometimes tricky since there's no real convention on if 1 or 0 is fully transparent.

check also here :
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/72958-Bringing-Models-from-SketchUp-into-CityEngine-Recommendations

cheers !

matt
0 Kudos