Web Editing with Versioned Data

Jump to solution
06-07-2013 06:58 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Richmondgis

I am lost on how to set up a web editing instance using versions.  I'm sure I am making this much harder than it is.
Enterprise SDE (10.1) and ArcGIS for Server 10.1.

I would like to publish a version of the data for editing.  This will help insure that the edits are reviewed before posting to the default.  I have both database authenticated and window authenticate users and connections.  Most of the desktop editors use a Windows authenticated connection. Each editor has their own version and I created a new version (child of the default) for called WebEditing. I am only authoring one layer (point file of about 200 cemeteries) and share as a service.  After authoring a map and setting the version to WebEditing I share the services. (pretty straight forward)

In analyzing the site, an error about feature service not being set to a registered database is returned.  (If I try to publish the data using the Default version, this error is not returned, but due to protections of the default version, no editing can take place)

I have read many articles trying to resolve the issue of serving out the versions data and have tried to fix this issue in many ways. Registering the database in every way possible,  I feel now that I am too much into the weeds on this issue. 

I know this should be a very simple process:

1. create a map with versioned data

2. share it out as a service

3. consume it in an application with editing tools

What am I missing?????
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks for all the advice and help.  Chris, from ESRI called me and helped me understand about the issue with versioning.  The setting in the Geodatabase Connection properties was my missng step.  Once I right click the geodatabase connection, went into the Geodatabase Connection properties and set the connection to the proper version, my feature service published.  I was not able to find this step anywhere in the documentation, but it makes perfect sense to me.

thanks again

James

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi James,

... In analyzing the site, an error about feature service not being set to a registered database is returned. ...

Some things to check for:

1. Have you added the ArcGIS Server account as a user to your ArcSDE geodatabase (and the SQL Server instance)? You'll need to ensure it has read/write permissions on the feature class and version that you want to enable for web editing.

Authoring feature services

2. Have you added your ArcSDE geodatabase as a valid data store to your ArcGIS Server site?

About registering your data with the server
Registering a SQL Server database with the server

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Though it is entirely possible and most likely probable that I am missing something, I believe all is set up accordingly.  I still get cannot seem to get by the 00090:<featureclasess> requires a registered database. I have even review the help window for this error to no avail.  I am sure it has to do with using versioned data, but it should work.  I am at the point of asking for anybody to contribute ideas on this issue.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
In analyzing the site, an error about feature service not being set to a registered database is returned.

When this happens in ArcMap, you can resolve this by selecting the error and taking the action to register the database.

I think that the issue is that the version information matters.  For example, let's say that you database D with versions V1, V2, and V3.  In this case I think that you have to perform the registration 3 times.

I may be wrong but try it and see if it works.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks for all the advice and help.  Chris, from ESRI called me and helped me understand about the issue with versioning.  The setting in the Geodatabase Connection properties was my missng step.  Once I right click the geodatabase connection, went into the Geodatabase Connection properties and set the connection to the proper version, my feature service published.  I was not able to find this step anywhere in the documentation, but it makes perfect sense to me.

thanks again

James
0 Kudos