Slow Tile Response - Blank Tiles on Map

06-06-2013 08:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: brassier

Hello -

We're starting to use some ArcGIS Online content for our map product.  We've noticed that fairly regularly we get blank tiles on the map.  Sometimes these tiles slowly fill in, sometimes they don't, leaving a blank tile.

I've attached a couple images.  One of the map visual, and one of an example fiddler timeline.  Fiddler seems to show that these tiles are simply taking a very long time to load (if at all). 

Has anyone seen this with ArcGIS Online maps?  We'd like to understand if this is common before moving more of our content here.  For reference we've seen it on both publicly available maps (world topo map via services.arcgisonline.com) and via our private tiled maps we upload (tiles.arcgis.com).

Thanks
-Brian
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
In general, seeing blank tiles are more the exception than the norm for me... This will be hard to track down if it's a true problem because it's not easily reproducible. Can you try from a different location to rule out your network connection?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: brassier

Hello -

I have some added insight into this issue.  I ran the 3 tests below, which seems to point to this being a WPF Runtime issue when paired with ArcGIS Online services.  Any idea why?  Do ArcGIS Online map services have certain configurations that don't work well with the WPF Map control?

Each Test had pan/zoom activity for 2 minutes
1) Ran JS API against AGOL World Topo Map.  0 missing tiles.
2) Ran simple WPF app with 1 map control against AGOL World Topo Map.  12 missing tiles.
3) Ran same WPF app as #2, but against an ArcGIS Server map service we have.  0 missing tiles.

All tests above had simple maps with only a tiled map service layer.
0 Kudos
BrianRassier
Occasional Contributor
One other update.  I did confirm that this happens outside of our network.
0 Kudos