Very challenging performance (speed) issue,

05-19-2013 12:43 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Very challenging performance (speed) issue,

I got my data published by ArcGIS server and then a simple web application is built. This web application is reading from the data published in the ArcGIS server.

The issue now is the performance (speed): zooming (in/out/to) and banning are quite slow and very frustrating indeed.

I compared the performance of our web application (which is working on intranet bases) with similar web application (which is working on the internet) and found out that the second one (http://www.govmap.gov.il/) is quite fast!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24470[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue then?

1. might this be related to the platform of the web application?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24471[/ATTACH]
.Net? Silverlight? Flex?

2. might this be related to cashing issue?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24472[/ATTACH]

3. might this be related to scales the layers are visible?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24473[/ATTACH]

4. might this be related to the performance of the server (CPU + Ram) on which the data is published?

5. might this be related to the performance of the machine of the end user (CPU + Ram) on which the data is published?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: timdine

1 - Shouldn't be significantly
2 - Yes
3 - Yes
4 - Yes
5 - Yes

Performance can be related to a lot of different things.  You should ideally start right at the database level and work forward.  If the database isn't good, it doesn't matter what you do with the front end it'll still be slow.  Unfortunately there isn't really a nice forum answer for my map is slow. 

Start at the back end with some tools like mxdperfstat, do some tuning in your sde for things like spatial grids, optimize your symbology, hide layers, etc.

Then move forward.  Check the gis server stats, the performance stats, network bottlenecks. 

You might find one thing, or you could find a whole lot of little things.
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
1 - Shouldn't be significantly
2 - Yes
3 - Yes
4 - Yes
5 - Yes

Performance can be related to a lot of different things.  You should ideally start right at the database level and work forward.  If the database isn't good, it doesn't matter what you do with the front end it'll still be slow.  Unfortunately there isn't really a nice forum answer for my map is slow. 

Start at the back end with some tools like mxdperfstat, do some tuning in your sde for things like spatial grids, optimize your symbology, hide layers, etc.

Then move forward.  Check the gis server stats, the performance stats, network bottlenecks. 

You might find one thing, or you could find a whole lot of little things.

Thank you Tim for the very integrated answer,

�?� Database: I�??m using SQL server as database

�?� Server: The map is cashed (is pooling and processes are related to performance?)

�?� Maps: Layers and labels are managed to appear/disappear at particular scales

�?� Hardware: Ram: PowerEdge R510 Rack Server with 16 GB Ram, Quad-core Intel® Xeon® CPU/Core

�?� Switch: maximum speed

�?� Cables: maximum data transfer

Am I supposed to have good speed considering the above mentioned criteria for my work environment?
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'd say the cache is your main issue.  enabling dynamic caching isn't really having a cache, let alone a the scales range you have specified.