label only inside polygon

05-06-2013 10:58 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

I'm using ArcEditor 10.1. I hope this is easy and I just haven't figured it out.

I can't get maplex to only label inside the polygon. Before maplex, there was a nice check box that said "only label inside polygon" but I can't get maplex to do it. Has anyone figured this out?

Thank you,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
When you label the polygon in Maplex you choose regular placement.  There is a box to check IF it is ok to place it outside of the polygon.

If you then click on properties and fitting strategy there is an Overrun Feature Check box.  that should be unchecked.

If you click on Label Position tab (in properties)

If you select Anchor Points you can choose eroded center (always in Polygon) as well

Hello all,

I'm using ArcEditor 10.1. I hope this is easy and I just haven't figured it out.

I can't get maplex to only label inside the polygon. Before maplex, there was a nice check box that said "only label inside polygon" but I can't get maplex to do it. Has anyone figured this out?

Thank you,
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Zdenkah

I'm currently experiencing the same problem.  Absolutely nothing seems to work.  The labeling for whatever reason forces my labels to overrun no matter what check boxes I have turned on or off.
It seems that the only solution at the moment is use an older version of Arcgis. Constantly saving down to older versions and switching systems just to use an older version of labeling... is frustrating...

I'll create a thread going into more detail regarding the problem at a later date when I'm not busy (fixing all these labels 😛 !), it is something that definitely needs fixing.

Edit: just a little more detail.  I'm using land parcel placement and the only fitting strategy/density that I would like to use is reduce text size and minimum feature size for labeling.  A lot of the time the maplex will force the label to be centered in the polygon - even though the polygon doesn't really exist at that spot. For example, if I have to two square polygons kitty corner from each other maplex will attempt to position the label in the center of the two. Here is an example of the problem.  The number 10 is assigned to the green features.  Not only is having the ten sitting on two different features horrifying aesthetically it also confuses the reader as to what that label is assigned to (the yellow, or the green?) [ATTACH=CONFIG]25744[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Talked to tech support and finally was able to figure this out.

In label properties--label position--use Regular Placement--check on Place label at fixed position within polygon--Internal Zones you should have 1 in the middle with 0s in all other spots. No overrun feature. Allow labels to overlap the map border. **Most importantly - in Label Offset you should set it to 0 Points and 0 % of preferred offset. That's the one I was always missing.

Hope this helps others,
KubaSzostak1
New Contributor III

Thank you GeoNet Admin! Following your tips I managed to do it in #ArcGISPro with those settings:

Result:

0 Kudos