cannot import features into an Oracle Geodatabase after a raster import failure...HEL

04-12-2013 02:27 PM
JamesFox1
Occasional Contributor
I attempted to import a small test raster dataset from a local file geodatabase into an Oracle 10g Geodatabase. After the failed raster import attempt I find I cannot import any other vector features into it as well.  The errors I am getting are the generic oracle ORA "function passed invalid parameters" and/or "index not in range" or "locator not found" errors, which if you are not an ESRI developer or SDE data expert really tell you nothing!!! These look a little like the errors you get when you abort or crash an edit session and leave A and D tables in your schema but I was not doing editing but just importing a raster layer (that was quite tiny - less than a MB!). There are no DB locks held and I bounced the oracle database.  I tried feature class import, export (from the other geodatabase) and cut and paste. Same errors occur!

I have not tried ArcMap editing of current features yet but I am fearing if this capable is now gone also.

If some overall spatial parameter has been accidentally reset by this failed raster import attempt, or something in the schema or SDE metadata has been corrupted please tell me how to clean this up and fix it. I am new with working with raster datasets and layers at the data layer.

Oracle 10g (10.2.0.4) database, ArcSDE 9.2 and ArcDesktop 10.0

Thanks, 

-James W. Fox
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: vangelo

Do you have a copy of (unsupported) ArcGIS 9.2 to go with your (unsupported)
ArcSDE 9.2?

While 10.0 might be able to read out of a 9.2 server, it is probably not wise to
try to load with it.

You may also have a compatibility issue with ArcSDE 9.2 and Oracle 10.2.0.4.

- V
0 Kudos
JamesFox1
Occasional Contributor
Is this incompatability related to raster data only? I was able to load vector features fine with this version configuration prior to the attempt at raster loading. After that, this behavior started with this geodatabase.

We have other geodatabases with the same configuration and vector loading in those are currently working fine.

One side question, we have several oracle instance geodatabases supported by one SDE server. Is it possible to "selectively" upgrade one or would all of the geodatabases need to be upgraded concurrently?

-Jim
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: vangelo

Vectors are less chancy than rasters, but I still try to avoid table creation with
a release which is two more than the ArcSDE release.

I think you corrupted your instance with the raster load -- you may need to
contact Tech Support (though this will be complicated by 9.2's "retired" status).

I run 6, 8, 10 different ArcSDEs on a single server all the time (both Windows
and Linux), BUT it's not supported on Windows hosts (you need to master
command-line service administration to attempt it).  It's trivial to do with
a Linux server (I generally run each instance out of its own SDEHOME,
even if they're all the same release).

- V
0 Kudos