Failure on Joining an existing site

04-03-2013 06:53 AM
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Hi, friends,

I am joining my new ArcGIS Server 10.1 machine to an existing site. And I got errors at the last step of joining (see the attached image. I deleted some sensitive information for security purpose).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23163[/ATTACH]

(1) The exiting site and the new Arc Server machine are in the same version 10.1 (patch 1).
(2) Both of them are installed/configured as a domain user: domainname\arcgis.
(3) The folder of arcgisserver is shared by using UNC path as \\machinename\arcgisserver. Since the domain user of arcgis is the owner of the folder of arcgisserver, I can't set the read/write permission separatorly (see the screenshot below). 
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23165[/ATTACH]
(4) Since the new server is installed/configured by using the same domain user, arcgis, the shared arcgisserver folder should be readable/writeable to the new server. Am I right? Additionally, I can't set the read/write permission separatorly (see the screenshot above).
(5) Operation system for both servers: Windows Server 2008 R2.
(6) I could join the same same to the existing site successfully. The problem happens after I patched both machines.

That's all I can think of now. If you need additional information for detailed diagnose, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Just7045

Hello,
The error is pretty straight forward. It is stating that the server doesn't have access to some of those directories, and even lists them. What account are you using for the arcgis server service in windows? This is the account that must have access. You can test this by logging in to the machine as that account, navigating to the path, and just creating a little test folder. If that is successful, let me know and I will give you another test.

Thanks-
Justin
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Have you set also NTFS privileges for user arcgis?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: xiannian

My dear friend, thanks for the reply.

The account for ArcGIS Server is arcgis, which is domain user. The existing site server and the new server use the same account. The configure store, the directories, and the logs folder are in arcgisserver folder, which are configured as UNC path, e.g. \\machinename\configure-store, \\machinename\directories, \\machinename\logs. And the arcgis server account is the owner of the arcgisserver folder and its sub-folders.

Per your request, I remote destop to the new server, which needs to be added into an existing site for testing, with the user name of arcgis account, which is a domain user in my case. I can create folders and files in the folder of arcgisserver and its sub-folders, config-store, directories, and logs.

Anything else that you need me to test?

Thanks again.

Hello,
The error is pretty straight forward. It is stating that the server doesn't have access to some of those directories, and even lists them. What account are you using for the arcgis server service in windows? This is the account that must have access. You can test this by logging in to the machine as that account, navigating to the path, and just creating a little test folder. If that is successful, let me know and I will give you another test.

Thanks-
Justin
0 Kudos
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Yes, sir.

The ArcGIS Server account, domainname\arcgis, has full control of the folder.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23171[/ATTACH]

Thanks,

Have you set also NTFS privileges for user arcgis?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Just7045

My dear friend, thanks for the reply.

The account for ArcGIS Server is arcgis, which is domain user. The existing site server and the new server use the same account. The configure store, the directories, and the logs folder are in arcgisserver folder, which are configured as UNC path, e.g. \\machinename\configure-store, \\machinename\directories, \\machinename\logs. And the arcgis server account is the owner of the arcgisserver folder and its sub-folders.

Per your request, I remote destop to the new server, which needs to be added into an existing site for testing, with the user name of arcgis account, which is a domain user in my case. I can create folders and files in the folder of arcgisserver and its sub-folders, config-store, directories, and logs.

Anything else that you need me to test?

Thanks again.

Thank you for the reply. This means that the NTFS Permissions are correct, and you have network connectivity. The next test I would suggest you do is tor remove the current machine from the site, and then connect this machine to the site. Please note that this will require downtime. This test will see if it is an issue adding the machine, or if it adding a second machine that is the issue. Here  are the steps:

1. Log into server manager on the currently working machine
a. navigate to site/machines
b. Click the "X" that is associated with the machine name
  -- Note: What this will do is remove the machine from the site. This means it will remove the machine from the config store and the directories. All of your configuration will still be there, and we will be able to reconnect it after the test is complete.

2. After the machine is removed, navigate to the second machine
a. Instead of join an existing site, select create new site
b. When prompted, point to the existing config store and directories
--Note: This will not overwrite any existing configurations. You should simply be able to connect to the config store and directories.

If this works, then try to connect your other server to this by joining the site. If that doesn't work, then we have discovered there is an issue connecting the second machine

If this doesn't work, then there is an issue connecting this machine to the config store/directories. To clean up simply go to the original machine and select create  new site, point to the config store and directories to put things back as they were.

Please let me know the results-

Justin
0 Kudos
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Justin,

Thanks for your suggestion.

There is an error message (which I forgot what it is) at the end of removal of the machine from the site. But the machine was successfully (or not?) deleted from the site because when I started up ArcGIS Server manager, the login window did not startup.  Instead, it asked me to Create a new site or Join an existing site.

For the second step, I can't create new site with the existing config-store, directories, and log folder setting. It always told me that the site is used. I can't make the original server machine back to the site, too.

Since it is messed up, my final solution is to uninstall ArcGIS Server and reinstall ArcGIS Server.  After that, I can join the second machine into the existing site. Then, I have to reconfigure/start all the services.

Thanks again.

Mike

Thank you for the reply. This means that the NTFS Permissions are correct, and you have network connectivity. The next test I would suggest you do is tor remove the current machine from the site, and then connect this machine to the site. Please note that this will require downtime. This test will see if it is an issue adding the machine, or if it adding a second machine that is the issue. Here  are the steps:

1. Log into server manager on the currently working machine
a. navigate to site/machines
b. Click the "X" that is associated with the machine name
  -- Note: What this will do is remove the machine from the site. This means it will remove the machine from the config store and the directories. All of your configuration will still be there, and we will be able to reconnect it after the test is complete.

2. After the machine is removed, navigate to the second machine
a. Instead of join an existing site, select create new site
b. When prompted, point to the existing config store and directories
--Note: This will not overwrite any existing configurations. You should simply be able to connect to the config store and directories.

If this works, then try to connect your other server to this by joining the site. If that doesn't work, then we have discovered there is an issue connecting the second machine

If this doesn't work, then there is an issue connecting this machine to the config store/directories. To clean up simply go to the original machine and select create  new site, point to the config store and directories to put things back as they were.

Please let me know the results-

Justin
0 Kudos