Exclude creates problem with size of the legend

02-20-2013 08:08 AM
T_V_
by
New Contributor
Hello,
this is my first post. I hope you get my issue.

Currently I am working on a map project, which tries to show the growth of dorm beds in a district of Berlin. I used ArcMap to show the spatial distribution of the growth of the maps. Ihave created four different maps, which show growth in time - from 1970 till 1990, from 1991 till 2000, from 2001 till 2005 and from 2006 till 2011. To show the amount of beds I used proportional symbols. To show the growth in time, I used the exclusion function for proportional symbols. In my attribute table I've got information on the amount of beds of the dorm and its flotation. I've just excluded everything that was founded before 1991, 2001 and so on...

Now I've got the problem, that the symbology of the maps and legends changes, cause the highest amount of beds is in a hostel that was founded 2005 (500 beds). Especially the last map has a different size of symbols and, therefore, is not comparable to the other maps.

I haven't found a solution to this problem. Do you have any suggestions?

Best

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21992[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21993[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21994[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21995[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
T_V_
by
New Contributor
I am still interested in an answer or a suggestion how to solve this problem by using a different method.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: clthompson

If I understand the problem, you are worried that the size of the symbol will for a given value across your set of maps, so, as an example, in one map '50' is represented by a circle that is 10pt while in another map this same value will be a 12pt.  I think this simply means you need to control the classification rather than letting ArcMap do it.  You might analyze your data and see if you can 'bin' values into discrete ranges that are meaningful for comparative purposes and then use the unique categories symbology to apply fixed symbols to these ranges.  You can also try using graduated symbols (instead of proportional) and mess around with the classification settings to see if that gives you more control over the symbols that are used.
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

If I were you, I would have the data in another layer symbolized without the exclusion, you can then import this symbology for the excluded layers. Use the non-excluded layer to make the legend. This way, your symbols should all be consistent through the different maps.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: verschti

Hello,

If I were you, I would have the data in another layer symbolized without the exclusion, you can then import this symbology for the excluded layers. Use the non-excluded layer to make the legend. This way, your symbols should all be consistent through the different maps.

Best,
Melanie S.

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure, but if I am acting this way, isn't there a risk, that the symbols in the map are different. During reducing the exclusion, every circle should stay the same size - and shouldn't change it size, as it does now. The circles should show the amount of beds - and the amount always stays the same, cause we only got on number in the database.
0 Kudos
T_V_
by
New Contributor
If I understand the problem, you are worried that the size of the symbol will for a given value across your set of maps, so, as an example, in one map '50' is represented by a circle that is 10pt while in another map this same value will be a 12pt.

Sorry if I have been impresize. Every symbol in the legend an in the map should have the size, for instance 50 should always be 10pt.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: clthompson

Sorry if I have been impresize. Every symbol in the legend an in the map should have the size, for instance 50 should always be 10pt.

This is what I thought.  I think that you need to used graduated symbols with a classification applied to achieve this.  Proportional symbols I don't think allow you to preserve symbology in the way you want it too where your values are changing.
0 Kudos
T_V_
by
New Contributor
Thanks. My problem was solved by using graduated symbols.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: nannasin28

You might analyze your data and see if you can 'bin' values into discrete ranges . [url=http://www.hqew.net/product-data/2N4401]2N4401[/url]
0 Kudos