Trouble with importing symbol to use as representation.

02-05-2013 11:38 AM
JohnNiles
New Contributor III
I am attempting to import a symbol created in Illustrator and exported as an .EMF file, but the result is selective about what actually loads.

Here is the process:

-Export desired pattern from Illustrator as an EMF
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21467[/ATTACH]

-In ArcMap, open 'Layer Properties'

-Under Representations --> 'Import Symbol...'

-Click on symbol to bring up 'Symbol Property Editor'

-Under Properties:Type: select 'Picture Fill Symbol'

-Navigate to saved .EMF file

-OK --> OK --> Now click on 'Marker:' to bring up Representation Marker Selector'

-Click on 'Properties' to open 'Marker Editor'

-Here is the problem: The pattern is missing points that were exported and are still in the EMF (visible when opend back up in AI, but will not load into ArcMap
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21470[/ATTACH]
To compare what is saved to what ArcMap will load (left is AI, right is ArcMap:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21472[/ATTACH]

What on earth is going on here? I have tried saving the point symbols only, and nothing loads at all.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: pmcatnip

I can't offer a reason for the problem but here's some workarounds worth trying.  Can you turn the points into circles, such that the line is thicker than the radius and makes them look like points?  Or can you try it as a transparent gif?
0 Kudos
JohnNiles
New Contributor III
Thank you for the reply, Trish!

I tried both of the workarounds you suggested and both methods do work!

That said, the method of replacing all the points features to circles that look like points in Illustrator is a better solution than saving as a gif. I might not be using the correct terminology, but this is how I see the difference: when saved as an EMF, the symbols are saves as shapes, or vectors, rather than an image with transparency, or rasters. This allows for the pattern to be viewed at any scale without degradation. The gif, while mostly transparent, has a bit of gray halo, and is blurry when blown up.

Again, thank you! Looks like I'll be replacing points with circles for the next hour... 🙂

Cheers
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: pmcatnip

Glad it worked for you!
0 Kudos