Grid not drawing correctly at full extent

11-26-2012 06:15 AM
HollySmith
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I have a very fine square grid in a raster format that I am having problems with. It was originally a polyline feature class but I did not like the fact that it had over 1000 seperate lines in the attribute table so I made it a raster so it is just one (so when it is published it is easier to query).

However, when I view the raster at full extent Arc 10 decides to draw random lines (first image) instead of just a block of colour like the polyline one did (second image) which is what I want it to look like as the random lines look messy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19520[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]19519[/ATTACH]

When the raster is zoomed in the random lines showing change until zoomed in to a certain level and the correct grid shows. I have messed around with the pyramids on the raster to see if that does anything but I don't really know what I'm doing there.

I don't even know if it is possible to show the full grid at full extent with a raster as Arc is trying to draw it dynamically and I don't want that, is there a way to turn that off?!

Thanks, any advice will be appreciated, even if it is to tell me its not possible!

Holly
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jbswain

If you are having issues with it when zoomed out, then depending on the format, delete the .ovr or .rrd files that are used for pyramids.  I would consider what resampling method you are using to display the data then generate the pyramids again, since the pyramids help with the performance of the display.  You can see the resampling method in ArcMap by looking at the Display tab under the properties.
0 Kudos
HollySmith
New Contributor III
Thanks for the fast reply.

I had a fiddle around with the pyramids and resampling and if I don't use any pyramids and the 'resample during display' as majority (in the properties, display tab) I get the following raster:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19541[/ATTACH]

Do you think that's the best I'm going to get?

Holly
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jbswain

What coordinate system are you using for your data?  I am not sure what you are expecting as the cell resolution of the pyramids will change as you scale out.  They will become more and more coarse.  I am not sure why the lines appear to be rectangular.
0 Kudos
HollySmith
New Contributor III
It is in WGS84.

I would expect the cell resoultion to become coarse as I zoom out but I would expect it to be regular. It just seems to pick random lines and doesn't keep the edges which is strange.

I think it's the best I'm going to get, or I might keep it as a polyline feature class and put a polygon over the box so only the box is queried not each line when the area is clicked on...

Thanks for the reply.

Holly
0 Kudos